1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWL ombud steps to the tee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jan 13, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ms. Schreiber battles the windmills yet again, as the WWL's heads bobble in feigned agreement while waiting for a repeat performance of their transgressions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3828530

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria had no comment,but muttered to himself that we'll do it again next week....

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

What a pile of shit.
    "I recommend that whenever ESPN accidentally steps into the spotlight, it find a way to get out as quickly and deftly as possible. When out of the spotlight, don't ask for it -- at least for a while."

ESPN is always about putting ESPN and it's pompous talking head morons in the spotlight and it is NEVER accidental. It stopped being about sports -- except for some of its game coverage -- years ago and will never change.
    That's why SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, etc. have become totally unwatchable.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I like the Sky Sports hour on Fox Soccer Channel. Granted it's all about UK sports, but it's a program presented in reasonable decibels, not ego/loud voices/analysts/KABOOM! driven crap.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm slow on the uptick, but I recently came to the same conclusion. I tried, I tried and I tried to watch through all the branding and self-promotion and b.s. But I no longer can do that. It has become stifling.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It has been stifling for a long time.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Guess I am slow on the uptick then. Only recently succumbed to it.

8. Question: What do you actually need ESPN for at this point, besides watching games for which they have exclusive rights? You can get your local teams through your local affiliates, and you can get analysis and highlights to pretty much anything online now. I can't remember the last time I watched ESPN for anything besides a specifc game I wanted to see and I'm sort of amazed others haven't yet gone the same route.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

WFW!

10. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I third this sentiment. Only live game coverage draws me to ESPN. I'm a huge sports fan, but I find myself watching Comedy Central and Food Network more often than the WWL.

11. [quote author=The Freak]
    "Let fans get over their ESPN fatigue."
    [/quote]

That's worse than any use of "get over" when it comes to race relations.

When it comes to self-indulgence and self-aggrandizement, ESPN has far, far outpaced National Public Radio. Not a good thing.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to watch SportsCenter before I fell asleep and as soon as I woke up. I don't remember the last time I watched a full showing. I pretty much only watch ESPN when the Mets are playing there.

Draft saved Draft deleted