1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWJD

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 9, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anyone who gives a shit and takes that shit publicly why African Americans are underrepresented in athletics is either a patronizing bigot, a reverse racist or a troll. Who cares why 300 black men can't make millions of dollars playing baseball, when there are millions of black men that can't make $300 for a days' work.
    When was the last time you saw a black dentist? I bet black architects are pretty under represented. There are so many more things that blacks aren't involved in besides some game where they are clearly welcome that to actually waste the bandwidth, television air time, newspaper column inches or radio air waves is an insult to literacy.

Want more blacks in baseball? Tell Barry Bonds, Gary Sheffield and Frank Thomas to put a million dollars each and endow Grambling University with a baseball department and extra scholarships. Put their money to work. and Shut The Fuck Up.

2. boots

boots New Member

The baseball players numbers are just as appalling as the sports journalists numbers. Its a trend that needs to change.

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Oh but ain't that Amerikkka, for you and me
    Ain't that Amerikkka, we're someting to see baby
    Ain't that Amerikkka, home of the free...

4. boots

boots New Member

In the immortal words of Gil Scot Herron, Freedom ain't nuthin but a word.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No offense, but a lot of salient posts, including crimsonace's have been posted here to your complete silence. You can't just bray into the wind.

6. boots

boots New Member

If my memory is correct, salient means noticeable or important. I think my post is just as salient as anyone elses.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, no, not really. It doesn't seem to advance the discussion much, anyway.

The implication of your remark is that this is a situation that needs to be changed in some fashion. And, indeed, if the numbers are being artificially held down through some means then that does need to be remedied. If, however, this is just the way the sport had evolved independent of outside influence -- the way I feel about minority "underrepresentation" in the NHL, say – then there's really nothing to be done.

If current black players and former black players like Dave Winfield think something needs to be done to take the game to African-American youth, there's nobody standing in the doorway blocking them from making that effort.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, salient involves analysis or statements that obviously or conspicuously effect the discourse in some way. A lot of post are giving salient answers to your original loaded question, to which you continue saying "this must change." Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but there are real obstacles to baseball returning to the African-American community, and money alone won't solve it. I'm not sure it even needs to be solved. Is there something intrinsic about baseball that makes it more worthy than, say, soccer? Or bowling? Or golf? Tiger Woods' greatness sure hasn't made a dent in the overall game; that might have something to do with Woods being insanely rich and descending far behind the Orlando Green Curtain to play video games all day.

9. boots

boots New Member

I don't think former players, while they care about the numbers, want to get involved with something like this. To be honest, I believe its a cultural thing. Kids in urban settings aren't exposed to the game. They have little interest in it. In order for the change to occur, that mindset must be altered.
    That's what I don't see happening.
    And another thing. Baseball may have originated in the United States, but the interest and our overall talent level is below that of other countries. That too needs to change.

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

11. boots

boots New Member

And that's great. I think Tori has the right idea. It's going to take current players to build the numbers up. I was talking about former players. I've heard Joe Morgan, a hall of famer address the issue, but he hasn't done anything about the numbers. Where is Hank Aaron, Reggie Jackson, Lou Brock, all Hall of Famers? I'm sure their input would help something like Hunter's endeavors get off the ground.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Umm, the article is about AFRICAN AMERICANS. As in, black dudes born and raised in the United States of America.

You're going to have a hard time convincing David Ortiz or Manny Ramirez that they were born in the States.

Draft saved Draft deleted