1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWJD: The President at the National Prayer Breakfast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 2, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Apparently, the President's plan is divinely inspired. It's nice to be on God's side in a political dispute.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Jesus loved the middle class.

3. YankeeFan

Eh, Jesus had to focus on the poor. FDR hadn't invented the safety net yet.

Mitt can focus on the middle class.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah, the GOP never played the Bible card.

5. And this is just two verses away from the passage about loving thy neighbor as thyself...

“‘If a man sleeps with a female slave who is promised to another man but who has not been ransomed or given her freedom, there must be due punishment. Yet they are not to be put to death, because she had not been freed." Leviticus 19:20, NIV

(On a positive note, it goes on to say that the man can sacrifice a ram to be absolved).

The lefty Christians are just as loony as the righty ones. They both act like an ancient work of fiction has something meaningful to say about today's world. It's a shame that the president has to give lip service to the NPB and can't ignore it like it deserves to be.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Quoting the Bible and then politicizing those words is as American as apple pie. I'd be disappointed if both sides didn't claim God was on their side.

Only Lincoln had the balls to admit he had no idea if he was on God's side.

And that dude got a bullet in his head.

7. YankeeFan

Jesus supports higher taxes:

And, there is Biblical backing for our foreign aid policy:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/obama-i-pushed-dodd-frank-and-health-care-reform

8. Jesus, or the Bible, supports whatever you want it to support.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Jesus was for 100 percent taxation. Seriously.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF -- you can't honestly believe Obama is unique, or even noteworthy at all, in citing the Bible. He was at the National Prayer Breakfast, was he supposed to go there and be anti-prayer? Or was he supposed to not go and be seen as godless or Mooslim?

11. YankeeFan

I'd have to go back and look at transcripts, but I'm not sure President Bush ever gave such an overtly political speech at the National Prayer Breakfast.

I also think it's funny, because it's the sort of thing that would set the secular left on fire if it was done by a Republican President.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be a National Prayer Breakfast sponsored by our government. Period.

They want to pray at breakfast, do it in their own home, or have their church cook up some eggs and pray there.

Draft saved Draft deleted