1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WWJD? He'd keep teachers broke for the sake of the kids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Feb 2, 2012.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Gee, that new $49,500 salary sure is going to stop those "high-ranking legislators" who are "making millions of dollars" off of lobbyists.

LEGISLATOR: Sorry, the deal's off! You can keep your six-figure bribe. Daddy just got a $19,000 raise!

2. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Yes. They certainly are. I would know. I'm married to one.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Considering the legislature meets 30 days in a 105-day period, usually ending by May, that's a nice part-time job.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wisconsin was of course the big flash point in this whole issue recently. I recall the median teacher salary there was right around the median household income for the state -- a bit below, I think. That doesn't sound broke, especially when factoring in that teachers are often -- perhaps even predominantly -- part of two-income households.

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Alabama is one f*kd up state, man. Just, for Criss' sake, legalize gambling so my daughter can raffle off a chance to win a truck...oh, wait..

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Put it this way:
    My wife BRINGS HOME +/- $1600/month. I bring home +/- $1620/month and I work for a weekly newspaper.

You tell me if teachers are broke.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

FWIW, the $1600 is after the new health insurance hikes.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's her gross pay for a year?

What's her pension?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

young-gun, I couldn't evaluate that unless I knew the tax withholding as well as all of the deductions (health care, retirement etc.) that come off the initial amount. No, it doesn't sound like you're living the life of kings. But unless there have been severe pay cuts since she began, I think the salary is fairly well-known to all who get into the field. The median household income in Alabama (pretax) is $42,000, so based on what you're telling me about your take-home pay, it appears the two of you would be well above the median. As I was responding to the question of whether teachers are "broke," I don't see how a household above the median income can be classified as broke.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

In most venues, I would comment that a college graduate ought to be able to expect an above-median-income wage. On a journalism board, however, I don't see that point finding purchase.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not on a board where people are proud to receive slave wages from their benevolent corporate overlords.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The ultimate objective of the teabaggers is to eliminate public education, of course.

All this other shit is just scenery along the roadmap to that ultimate end.

Draft saved Draft deleted