1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTH is happening in Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 17, 2018.

1. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

According to an analysis done by Payday Report of bylines and interviews with Post-Gazette reporters, nearly ⅔ of the union has crossed the picket line (with almost half of all reporters doing so). Many reporters, particularly younger reporters, have found jobs at other publications as the strike’s likelihood of success looks small and moved away from Pittsburgh./

Currently, the union can only maintain pickets for 2 hours a day as approximately two dozen reporters remain on strike from about 85 reporters who were members of the union at the beginning of the strike. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette union chair Andrew Goldstein has privately acknowledged to local labor supporters that the strike is a “disaster.”

https://paydayreport.com/2-3rd-of-p...french-embassy-french-ski-instructors-strike/

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don’t like seeing the douchebags win. But it appears that the preparation for a work action was not there, it was a rash decision or both.

3. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Union leadership called an ill-conceived strike and I don't see how the remaining diehards still on strike can save face and bring this to an end. Four months in and they are bleeding out financially.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. Readallover

Saturday, March 18, will be the start of sixth month of the strike. I never thought it would go on this long and with this level of indifference.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

So, the current answer to the thread title is, “Not much.”

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Back in 2004-05, The (Youngstown) Vindicator strike lasted from Thanksgiving Eve to August, and the newsroom employees settled for the same raise they were offered when they walked out. Several strikers resigned (and weren't replaced) and 3/4ths of the guild's negotiating committee either quit or were laid off within weeks of the settlement.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

We accepted Gannett’s unconditional offer in February 1997, 20 months after the strike began
    I was offered my job back in June 1998
    Time is the friend of management

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I can hear Harry Caray now " Ah one, ah two ..."

9. Readallover

Jonathan Salant, recently fired D.C. reporter for the Star Ledger, just landed a similar gig at the Post Gazette. Striking newsroom journalists are very unhappy with his hiring.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

11. Readallover

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

So fired wouldn't be the right word to explain why Jonathan Salant isn't working for the Star Ledger, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted