1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF - They Changed The Nicene Creed ??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 7, 2011.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

What if you're sitting next to a gorgeous woman?

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Huh? Scanning the pews for good-looking women during Mass? I'm shocked, Tony!

[/someone who's been doing that since he was 13]

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is Nicene any relation to Apollo?

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This, absolutely this. I wonder how often "What the fuck?" was muttered under somebody's breath in the the middle of mass in recent days.

I'm not Catholic, but I'm married to one and thus, sit through a lot of masses. Even I know to say "And also with you..." to the priest. Now, I'm just going to turn up my I-pod :D

Billy Bragg updated the lyrics to his song, "Waiting for the Great Leap Forward" a few years back. If, like Bragg, the Catholic church can work Donald Rumsfeld's name into the new lyrics, I'm all for it!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Today's mass was a jumble of unintelligible refrains due to half church saying old prayers and other half saying the new.

Noticed that the church pulled a fast one on Penitential Rite which is spoken at beginning of mass to atone for sins.

Used to read "I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, now reads :

"Have sinned greatly"

No good attorney would advise anyone to cop to great sins.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're local Priest would gladly do that.

/I'mgoingdeeperinhell

7. Yeah, I've said it this way for 23 years and I'll keep saying it the way I've always known.

The day the Church allows me to get a vasectomy is the day I switch to the new creed.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Not trying to make trouble but honestly curious ... why would you follow a church if you don't agree with their beliefs?

9. That's the one thing I disagree with.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boom, 10 days ahead of the Washington Post:

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'm not Catholic and do not understand, so please forgive if I offend.

When I was young and attending regularly we had "responsive readings." It was somewhat of a give-and-take between the pastor and congregation, but different verses or readings. It wasn't the same thing every single time.

I've attended a few Catholic services and one funeral. They all seemed to be, so to speak, the same. Aren't prayers and questions or responses to God supposed to be from the heart and part of faith, rather than rote memorizations of the same things said at the same time each service?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A big reason why I don't find Mass to be very inspiring/moving. I feel like I'm watching a MASH rerun for the 20th time.

The Readings change, but much of the service is the same from week to week. From years of attending as a kid, I can say the entire Mass along with the Priest.

And, there are so few good Priests, that most of the Homilies/Sermons are lousy too.

Draft saved Draft deleted