1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF - They Changed The Nicene Creed ??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Any Catholics notice the change to Mass liturgy?
    Big changes started yesterday. Years of saying the same responses at
    Sunday Mass all changed. What was once a rote exercise that was drummed into my head at age 7 by Sister Mary Catherine is now an exercise in futility.

For example :

Each Sunday for decades, Roman Catholic priests have offered the blessing — "Lord be with you." And each Sunday, parishioners would respond, "And also with you."

The correct response now will be, "And with your spirit."

In the new translation, in the Nicene Creed, the phrase "one in Being with the Father," will change to "consubstantial with the Father."

"Consubstantial" Huh??

Even the Priest made mistakes yesterday. This is going to turn into the
    New Coke disaster for Catholic Church.

My cynical mind leads me to believe that this is a money grab by religious
    publishers wanting to sell new prayer books to the church.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's terrible of me, I know, but for some reason I think the word consubstantial belongs in a story about either Sandusky or Herman Cain.

3. Boom_70

I thought the same when I heard it the first time. Seems like a word that the Catholic Church should stay away from.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I am NOT rememorizing this. It took me one of the most pressure-filled weeks of my life to get it right in third grade.

5. Boom_70

My feeling also. Going to do a silent protest or maybe respond in Latin.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying either of those responses, and I'm not holding hands during the Our Father either.

Not that I go often enough to make a difference.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gee, I'll be in for a big shock when I go to my next mass on Christmas Day.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Who is the church's lyrical consultant, Jeff Tweedy?

9. Boom_70

If they wanted to reinvent things they should have hired Seth MacFarlane to write new hip dialogue.

"Body of Christ"
    "Cool dude"

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think the changes become official on Nov. 27, the first Sunday of Advent.

And yeah, there were errors galore in Mass yesterday as our parish tried to get a jump on the new Roman Missal -- especially as our choir of 70-somethings tried to keep the same tune with the new words for "Glory to God."

Another change I noticed: just before communion, the congregation now says, "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed."

Apparently -- according to our pastor, who was trying to explain some of the changes -- this "roof" is in reference to a Gospel passage about the Centurion who asked Jesus to heal his servant.

Yeah ...

Glad there's nothing else going on in the Catholic Church, so our bishops and untold numbers of Vatican officials could worry about important stuff like this over the past decade or so. [/blue font]

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Back to the future. That was used in the Mass translation implemented in the 1960s, after Vatican II, when the Latin mass was superseded by the vernacular.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's bullshit of the highest order. All of it. Extended rant coming when I get the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted