1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF? Tennessean not covering the SEC tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 17, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You don't cover the SEC tournament in that market, may as well be a suburban shopper.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Truth be told, AP can do a better job of coverage than anyone at the Tennessean anyway.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's probably an element of truth to that since Chris Low left.

Gannett will have the C-J and Florida Today there.

I could understand it on some level if Tennessee and Vanderbilt were both among the worst in the conference. Hell, the Vols could be the No. 1 seed going into this thing.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

From my perspective, an equally troubling omission is not planning to go to North Little Rock.

And, no, I didn't forget the blue font.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the phrase "bubble team"? Lots of teams, especially in this year's turdish SEC, could play their way in (or, more likely, out). Hell, Tennessee may be on the bubble if it goes one-and-done.
    And don't forget what Georgia did last year. Imagine if Vandy has a similar run this year.
    The uproar over this has nothing to do with "meeting with other scribes" or even because it's a cost-cutting decision. The tournament is a big piece of working the Vandy and Tennessee beats, and not having your beat writer there is not good on many levels.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And with this decision, there is no Commodores beat writer in attendance, unless the Hustler sends someone down.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

The SEC also makes it difficult to commit to covering the tournament when there's a 1-in-4 chance your team plays the late game, which has been known to end at 1 a.m.

8. HejiraHenry

Better than the baseball tourney, where the late game has been known to start at 1 a.m.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I'm pretty sure The Tennessean is not reveling over this decision, unless you think they're doing it just to create SportsJournalists.com fodder.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Too much time in between games, you think?
    Wouldn't an adjustment there help get the late one done in time?
    Or is it all in the name of TV money?

11. HejiraHenry

Well, I'm sure there are people on here who are so vain, they probably think this thread is about them.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Or unless Lionel Richie and Walter Orange decide to show up......

Draft saved Draft deleted