1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF? Tennessean not covering the SEC tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 17, 2009.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Our paper is not covering Microville Polytechnical Institute and State University's conference tyournanent either this year, even though the men's and women's events are combined and beig held about 10 blocks apart.

I've also heard through the grapevine that if MPI & SU advances to the College World Series, not an out-of-the realm-of-possibility event considering recent history, we'll be hiring a stringer for that too.

If restaurants operated like newspapers, they'd have fewer wait staff and cooks, serve you less food, charge you the same or more, and wonder why they are losing customers.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Umm, did anyone think they are going to use stringers? I am sure there enough talents out there that will cover a game for a fair price and write something that fits what the Tennessean is looking for.

How about a stringer for gamer and notes a day for $150-200 as long as they are in the tournament. Then, use AP for the other games and create a package.

If you are hiring competent freelancers at 3 or 4 sites, it's much cheaper than flying out 4 writers, putting them up in a hotel, and then paying meals, car rental etc.

If they are hiring good freelancers fine. If they are using AP? Absolutely disgraceful.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is not ideal, certainly, but the conference tournaments don't deliver a lot of news. Sure, there are games, and teams win or lose, but few major-conference teams miss or make the NCAA tournament based on result(s) in the conference tournaments. The regular season still makes up the huge bulk of the selection process.

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

When I say scare tactics, I'm referring to those that argue that no one reads newspapers anymore, therefore it's pointless to spend money on content that can be covered by the AP. But that's not the entire story. The reality is that many readers would still read the newspaper but too many shops have trimmed down its coverage and no longer provide a quality or unique product. That's daring people to look elsewhere for news - and they are, for the most part.

If newspapers stuck to what they were good at, I do not believe the industry would be in such a bad state of affairs. Poor decisions by newspaper management has helped put the business in this position.

That's what I mean by scare tactics.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

What happens when AP announces its only going to provide "AP News Now" for all SEC tournament games? Then we're all screwed.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sonuvabitch...

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Vandy isn't making it, Peay and MTSU are covered by sister papers and nobody will mind using a stringer for Belmont's crash and burn in the 2-15 game.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

It's not even one mile.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is a pretty steep uphill walk on the way back, though.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The cold night air will make it refreshing.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Guess you forgot that 15th-seeded Belmont lost to second-seeded Duke, 71-70, in the opening round last season.

Just watch. One of these newspapers will have a team that pulls the upset of the NCAA Tournament, and they'll have a stringer drop the ball.

What's sad is that one of the largest newspapers in the South is not going to staff the SEC Tournament. It's not football, but there are still a lot of readers interested in the event.

Just another example that newspapers could care less about providing the best information for its readers.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm still stunned The Tennessean won't be there, but many of us SEC scribes predicted a shitty media turnout as soon as they moved the tournament from Atlanta.

Draft saved Draft deleted