1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF? Tennessean not covering the SEC tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This is a horrendously stupid decision.

Fewer people want the product, so GIVE THE PEOPLE LESS!!! That will fix it!

Fucking morons. This will piss off a significant number of Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Kentucky fans. This will cost them more in the long run. This was not a good idea.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It depends on which non-idiots are making the decision -- sports, which might have a better view of the big picture, or suits, which say no just because.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

The blood has been spilling from newspapers for well over a year, and people are still surprised when a paper doesnt cover the SEC Tournament? Amazing.

4. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

I heard the LSU beat writer for the five Gannett newspapers in Louisiana will not staff the SEC tournaments.

So to increase circulation and web hits and save money, do less with less. I'm sure readership will skyrocket!!!

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why are you yelling?

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Just close the doors people. It's hopeless now. Give a chunk of money to AP, let them and ESPN cover everything outside of Johnnyboy High School, and count the days to your doom.

The industry is Dead Men Walking.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Disgraceful.
    Tennessean is Gannett, right?
    I can just picture the meeting where that went down.
    "We get the AP right?
    SE: Uh, yes.
    "AP covers the games right?"
    Uh yes.
    Well, that's that.
    The problem is that the management fucks SERIOUSLY believe the local writers don't provide anything the AP can't provide, which is total bullshit.
    Sports writers get no respect from management. That is fucking fact and Tennessean if this is true you are a disgrace.
    Just close your doors.

8. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

I keep seeing people on here saying, "Close your doors!" These people are also the ones yelling the loudest abut layoffs. So you're against layoffs, but you also want to shut down a paper for not covering the SEC Tournament, which would put more people out of work. You sound as rational as the people that leave comments online after reading a story. Better yet, you're like the people who are against euthanasia because all life is sacred and then you support the death penalty. Does it suck that they can't cover the tournament? Hell yes. Should the paper shut down because of it? Hell no. Jesus, you people need calm the fuck down over this shit.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Save your breath and the agony Green. For many of those along here, they've never seen the industry go into bunker mentality. I've weathered a few storms but this by far is the worst.
    On paper, it's a cost-cutting decision. In the newsroom, its taken differently because a lot of guys won't be hobnobbing it with other scribes.
    My concern is this theory of putting so much emphasis on the web. When will editors realize that not every home has a computer or cable or satellite?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The reason this is even more insane is The Tennessean has two SEC teams in its coverage area. You want to send one writer instead of both, fine...

Nashville is hosting the thing next year for Christ sake.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lots of UK blue mixing in with orange and gold and black.
    I'd almost argue three teams.
    The only thing I can think is that they are saving the money for the NCAA tournament. The Tennessean could have Peay, Belmont, Vandy, Middle and UT make it in just the men's tournament. Then you have the women's teams that could get in and suddenly you have nine, 10 teams and what would you spend the money on?
    Conference or NCAAs ...

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have trouble controlling the VOLUME OF MY VOICE.

Draft saved Draft deleted