1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF? Tennessean not covering the SEC tournaments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Feb 17, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Heard around the bend that The Tennessean, Nashville's premier news source, has chosen not to cover the SEC men's and women's tournaments.
    Has anyone else heard this or is this all a figment of my imagination?

2. VJ

VJ Member

You mean in trying economic times, newspapers are cutting back on the events they cover? NO WAI

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Apparently, the powers that be think that AP can do an adequate job. Definitely a growing trend in a cookie-cutter industry.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's as much AP as it is Florida Today or Fort Myers or another Gannett paper down there ...

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

People made a big deal out of the AJC not covering the Super Bowl or Richmond not going to Daytona.
    Nashville has never missed the SEC tournament. Never.
    Yet, here they are, and the coverage plan, from what I hear, is to cover neither tourney. Men's or women's — one they could drive to cover.
    So the question becomes, if this is true, are they saving money to cover the NCAAs or is the plan to skip them as well?
    And, again, for the old money Vandy fans that make up a large chunk of the Tennessean's readership. How is not covering the 'Dores going to go over?
    Fred Russell is rolling over in his grave.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Jay---you do understand that a business facing a budget deficit and which has been ordered to cut expenses X amount, has to do things like not cover conference basketball tournaments?

I think it's fair to say that The Tennessean does NOT relish skipping the SEC tournament. I would guess it's not a bunch of idiots making unpopular decisions such as this just to make themselves look foolish.

If it was your money, what would you do?

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

IF IT WERE MY MONEY I WOULD STOP WASTING TIME PHOTOSHOPING MUSTACHES ON PEOPLE AND STAFF THE GOD DAMN TOURNAMENTS!!!!

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DN&Dato=20090210&Kategori=FEATURES01&Lopenr=902100803&Ref=PH&Profile=1004&SectionCat=FEATURES

8. Babs

Babs Member

I've never been impressed with The Tennessean's selection of what's important. They seem to choose the wrong things over and over.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh good, it's not like women's basketball is important in that state or anything. And it's not like Vanderbilt has any kind of hoops following or Tennessee has had a sudden spike in interest since Bruce Pearl arrived. And it certainly is unlikely that any Kentucky fans moved down to their fair city for work but would still want to follow the Cats.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You kidding? That number of hits they probably got off the site for that probably just saved a guy's job for another week.
    Mustaches rock.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In this economic climate, it's not surprising that a newspaper will decide they can't afford to staff a conference tournament, or that wire copy will do an adequate job.

From a newsgathering standpoint, it sucks. From a quality standpoint, it sucks. But these aren't normal times we live in.

12. It does, but this is where newspapers are bass-ackwards as usual.

For instance, at my shop, we are having some serious trying economic times, but we are sending two writers and a photographer to cover the state wrestling tournament for three days.

Yes, that is three nights of hotels, mileage, meals, etc., and all told it will probably add up to close to $1,000.

But we will get great daily content for our Web pages, great weekly content for our print products, readers will take us seriously, advertisers (hopefully) will take us seriously, etc.

And that $1,000 is not going to save anyone's job if it's already on the chopping block.

Draft saved Draft deleted