1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wtf? minaya gets a contract extension?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 24, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pelfrey is the real deal. But the system is beyond repair beyond Murphy and Evans, neither of whom was pegged for big league duty this year...or next year, even. That Fernando Martinez is still scuffling at Double-A is more indictative of the Mets' success with prospects dating back a quarter-century.

Maine and Perez were savvy acquistions, but Maine's got a busted shoulder and Perez is heading for the free agent market. Would you want to give flaky Oliver Perez four years? Or five years? or 12 years or whatever it is that Boras is going to demand?

And the lack of improvements to the bullpen between last year and this is just inexcusable. It's like driving a car that's on fire and not pulling over to put it out. It makes zero sense.

Omar's building a house of cards, continuing to mortgage the future to try to win today. Let's see how long Delgado can extend this post-Willie run. Beltran is Beltran...he can go 25-100 and still leave you wanting more, because he's got more there.

Omar's got the Mets far better positioned for a collapse than for a run of playoff berths. But if there's one thing he's good at, it's sweet-talking people and making himself look pretty good. And he's got a perfect sucker in Freddy, who is just foolish enough to give a four-year extension to a guy who's made the playoffs once in four years. That's right. They're not making it this year, either.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think they'll make it, simply because the Brewers are full of fail, but they won't get past the divisional series.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Fernando Martinez is 19 years old. He has played half a season at Double A, where he hit .271. How does that qualify as "still scuffling?" The Mets' minor league system has produced Reyes, Wright and Pelfrey in recent years, with Daniel Murphy, in an admittedly small sample size, coming up in a pennant race and looking like a polished big league hitter. And this is after the Mets acquired Santana even though they weren't supposed to have good enough prospects to pull it off. It might be time to drop the accepted theory that the farm system is barren.

I don't see the mortgaging of the future, either. Not when Minaya apparently wouldn't trade the prospects necessary to get someone like Brian Fuentes or Huston Street. Seems hard to blame for not upgrading the bullpen and then to turn around and blame him for mortgaging the future as well. With Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Church and probably Murphy next year, 5 of the 8 positions will be filled by guys who are either in their prime or haven't reached it yet. The Met team that began the season may have been old and injury-prone, but they are not that any longer. I don't know how this year is going to end up, but they are not in bad position going forward.

Hammer away on Minaya for the bullpen, but that's the only area in which he has really underperformed.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Martinez is only 19, but he regressed this year: He displayed a worse K/BB ratio and about the same XBH/AB ratio. The speed still isn't there for a guy who was suppose dto be a five-tool stud. It is far too soon to bury him, but I see him and I think Alex Escobar and dozens of others can't-miss Mets prospects who missed.

I'm not counting on Church and his concussed brain next year. And Murphy reached the bigs after four Triple-A at-bats...not b/c he was so red-hot but b/c he's already 23 and he was old for every level prior.

As for the mortgaging of the future, I'm talking about going apeshit on the likes of Santana, Delgado, Beltran, et al, instead of doing what everyone else is doing and building a youthful foundation. Reyes and Wright pre-date Minaya (well, not really, he was Phillips' ass't back then but you know what I mean).

This is as good as the Mets are going to get by shelling out $$$ to fix holes. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt re: his inability to build from within--the Mets have had a joke of a system for far too long to look anywhere but Freddy and his belief he can buy credibility--but there's no excuse for anyone NOT to find solid bullpen arms on the scrap heap. He can do it with position players, why not bullpen guys? And no, I do not count Luis Ayala.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

They mortgaged their future by signing Beltran at 28, which cost them no players, and by trading for Santana at 29? What are you talking about?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Maybe he can sign Colon, and see if the Reds & Indians would give their Cy Young winner, the best CF in baseball, and one of the best 3 2bs for a few weeks of him.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But everybody LUVVVVVS him!!

Ask Mikey F.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

They gave up most of what was left of their farm system for Santana. Let's see how good a deal that looks for both sides when he's 33 or 34.

And re: Beltran (and Pedro and Wagner)...yeah, they didn't trade anyone. But you don't have to trade anyone to mortgage the future when you're trying to buy credibility. That's worked once (with Piazza) in the last 25 years.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, you're really stretching now. That sentence in bold really doesn't make any sense. The Mets have a rotation that's in its prime or entering it, with the exception of Pedro, who won't be back. (They'll let Ollie walk and replace him with someone comparable, like AJ Burnett.) The only old position player who will be starting next year will be Delgado. They have three minor leaguers, Murphy, Evans and Niese, who have already helped them this year. Reyes and Wright are locked up long term. No one looking at this team objectively would say they have mortgaged the future.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Heilman was not pretty good before this year.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

He'd melt in big situations, but was at least reliable against the pushovers. That's valuable innings man.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not hiring the right manager is the GM's fault. Not having the guts to back up your managerial choice, if you veleive it's the correct choice, is a failure.

Was signing Billy Wagner Omar's call? If so, it might not have been the best decision and clearly the Mets' most dire need is a closer.

Whatever faye Minaya deserved, they should have waited until the end of the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted