1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wtf? minaya gets a contract extension?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by whatwoulddamondo?, Sep 24, 2008.

1. before this has played out?

i'm sure it's been mentioned on the running thread, but i didn't want to wade through the morass to see byh's reaction, and i didn't see another thread.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If you look at the big picture, Minaya deserves an extension, although 4 years is a little much. Two would have been about right. The overall state of the team is vastly better than it was when he got there, and that will be true no matter what happens over the next 5 games.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's done very well. He doesn't immediately become a failure if they don't make the playoffs.
  4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Should a GM be blamed for a team's propensity to choke? He's already trying different managers.
  5. minaya has failed, for two years running, to equip a team with the kind of bullpen that befits a supposed world series contender.

bullpen has lost seven games for santana this season. SEVEN. some of the blame also goes to the offense for poor run support and not giving the pen enough of a cushion to work with ... but seven blown games translates to about 20 percent of his starts. not acceptable.
  6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Some of the bullpen's problems can be traced to Wagner blowing out his elbow, which could not be foreseen. But yes, some of the blame has to go to Minaya for not strengthening it more either during the offseason or trading deadline. I don't think that's something you fire him for, though, given how successful he's been in other areas.
  7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Fair enough. But besides Wagner's injury, Heilman had been pretty good before this year. But it's still a fair point.
  8. of course, no one could see wagner getting hurt. but minaya has failed in filling out that team.
  9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The bullpen sucks. Put that on the minus side of the ledger. But on the plus side, the Mets have a solid starting rotation with Santana, Pelfrey, Maine and Perez, a talented core of position players in Reyes, Wright, Beltran, Delgado and Church, and a farm system that was deep enough to give up four players for Santana and still be able to bring up two guys, Daniel Murphy and Nick Evans, who have helped in a pennant race. There's also Minaya's consistent ability to find guys on the scrap heap -- Fernando Tatis this year, Jose Valentin and Endy Chavez in previous years -- who become big contributors. I'd rather give Minaya another shot to fix the bullpen than dump him and take a chance on somebody else after all the other good work he's done.
  10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Look, Omar is a nice guy but he put together a roster this season that was too old (Moises Alou, Luis Castillo, El Duque and Pedro, just to mention a few) and too injury-prone. Okay, they have had injuries (who hasn't?) and have developed a couple of prospects (Murphy and Evans) that have a chance to be good. But overall, I hardly think an extension was deserved at this time, certainly not of four years.

But that's just one old man's opinion.
  11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Does spnited know about this yet?

*ducking from the inevitable fall out*
  12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Even after last year's collapse and potentially another one this year?
Draft saved Draft deleted