1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is wrong with VH1?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FACT!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was a good show.

But not as good as BYH Classic (thanks Slap) was when it just, you know, SHOWED FUCKING VIDEOS ALL DAY AND NIGHT. Now they're down to 8-9 hours a day, all concentrated within a VH-1-type schedule: Overnight and early in the morning. Everything else is VH-1 reruns. Honestly, VH-1 showed those shows 100 million times apiece in their initial run. Who needs to see them again (no offense, fans of Pop-Up Video)?

No more Two-fer Tuesdays or Super Seventies (which always featured a video by Leo Sayer or Terry Jacks). It's still great background music for doing some work in the middle of the night, but not nearly as good as it was.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why in the hell would you want to see a video from Leo Sayer or Terry jacks?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My question is WTF is wrong with you for even stopping on VH1?
    Nothing that network does is worth damn and I've added it to my list of cable channels I no longer watch.
    Yep ESPN, you got some company, along with the Christian channels, the shopping channels and, well, actually most of the channels.
    I find just about all TV to be very full of FAIL right now.

5. azzurri

azzurri New Member

It's funny. All of the Viacom-owned music networks (MTV and VH1) started out by showing videos. Then they switched the programming format to reality and other shows, only to create alternate channels (MTV2, VH1 Classic) that play videos. But what is so stupid is that over the years the executives have decided to change the format of the alternate channels so that they carry even more reality programming. Then they create some more alternate channels that show just videos. And the cycle repeats itself.

Why don't they just skip the step of creating a channel that plays just music videos and just develop reality TV channel? Think McFly, think!

It's frustrating because I liked VH1 Classic in its nascent stage. Now, they show movies, rockumentaries and very few videos.

I just want my MTV (circa 1987)!

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why does it suck? Because Viacom owns it and aims to cut costs and shit on the brand.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

FWIW, Douglas Coupland coined the phrase for this shit in "Generation X" back in 1991 ...

Ultra Short Term Nostalgia: (page 96)
    Homesickness for the extremely recent past: "God, things seemed so much better in the world last week."

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Viacom runs shit because it's cheap to run. You think, uh, Tila Tequila or "New York" demands a fat check for their participation? Hell no. The publicity is the payment.

9. JayFarrar

I don't get the fascination with Tila Tequila.
    She isn't that pretty, but I guess it is because she sleeps with girls.

10. azzurri

azzurri New Member

Well, it's really cheap to run videos that are two decades old, as well. You already have an extensive vault. Open it, take out the videos, put them in the VCR, press play and beam them to households all over the country with your highfalutin satelites.

It's so simple and yet it seems to escape these people.

11. JayFarrar

They still have to pay royalties.
    So even songs 20 years old that get played, the artists still get paid.
    That's why the Rick Rolled dude was so happy. He was making some cash off that weird deal.
    Of course youtube rotation doesn't get you jack, so that's why most artists aren't fans of the interweb.

12. azzurri

azzurri New Member

You mean Billy Ocean is still getting paid? And Howard Jones?

Draft saved Draft deleted