1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is up with Coke Zero?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK. Coca-Cola introduced Coke Zero a year ago, and, amazingly enough, I LOVED it.

By far, by a million miles, the best diet cola I've ever had, and after 40 years, Coke actually comes up with a diet cola that actually tastes very much like original Coca-Cola. No, not exactly, but pretty damn close.

All righty. Fine, wonderful, hunky-dory. I start buying a couple cartons a week, trucking a few cans to work with me, everything is groovy, until -- Houston, we got a problem. :eek: :eek:

It turns out that almost every single can of Coke Zero I open -- just about every one -- fizzes up almost explosively after being open a minute or so. I mean, fizzes up out of the can, and just FLOODS out all over the desk or table or wherever else you set the can. :eek: :eek:

Sometimes it's worse than others, but it's pretty consistent. And when it happens, you almost can't slurp up the overflow off the top of the can as fast as it foams out of the can. Needless to say, causing a mess at work and other places. :mad:

The pop itself doesn't seem to be overly gassy or fizzy, either -- I can drink 3 or 4 in the course of the afternoon and not be seized by an attack of the burps, so I don't think it's being overcarbonated at the factory. It just seems, when the liquid is depressurized and then warms up a few degrees, it foams like crazy.

So, any other Coke Zero drinkers noticing this too? Or am I just delusional and deranged? ;)

2. animalmother

animalmother New Member

Yes, I've noticed it too - and it's a little disconcerting that what I'm ingesting seems to have a mind of it's own. IT's a rather bizarre, delayed reaction overflow thing, and freaked me out the first time it happened. I'd really like to know the scientific origin of this wacko phenomenon.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's some great cocaine in there.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's just an urban myth.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

As I noted earlier about Diet Coke with Splenda, it appears Splenda -- which is part of the mix in Coke Zero, as well -- affects the carbonation quality of soda. A can of D.C. with Splenda, left open overnight, still fizzes about as much as it did when you open it.

Which is damned odd.

I hadn't really had much overfizz trouble with Coke Zero in the bottle.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Maybe it has something to do with your amish ass taking a horse and buggy to work every day. The shocks on those things aren't what they used to be.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

For some reason, that cracked me up.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes. Yes you are.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Is Coke Zero really that good?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That and Diet Coke with Lime are all the pop I drink... It's not regular Coke, but its not Tab, either....

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know a guy and his cousin put Spanish fly in this girl's Coke Zero ...

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I don't know about you, but that little piece of info right there sort of tells me this is a substance one should not be putting in one's body. But I guess that's just me. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted