1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is it with Michigan State football coaches??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't hate Michigan State. I've got friends who went there. It's just that when the topic of sports comes up around them, they turn into pathetic whiners.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, lets clear this up. Whiners refers to football. basketball and hockey have served Sparty pretty well and they've been successful.
    The self-induced implosion and the whining that follows is pretty much limited to football.

3. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

Michigan State grad here...

- MSU grads/fans would be in the "also receiving votes" category in the AP Top-25 whine rankings. We're not even close to, say, Nebraska, Notre Dame, or even Michigan fans...

-Hart has every right to call "scoreboard," but he ought to know that little bro role better than anyone since he hasn't been able to beat Ohio State. Takes one to know one.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. Absolutely right.
    1. Sorry, but you're wrong. Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska are all programs which have been successful. Do they whine? Of course; they are used to success.
    Sparty? Once in a blue moon. They lose, they whine. Even tho they expect to lose, they whine. They win, they don't know how to act. Spartyfootball fans are a freak show.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Kind of like how Red Sox fans used to whine when they lost every friggin year.

Wait, they still do ...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's an entirely different type of whining... [/airplane]

7. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Go back and read the story. Hart is the one who called Michigan State "a little brother."

Should Dantonio have made this big an issue of it? No. But don't rip the guy for something he DIDN'T say. I know it's just a message board, but make sure you've read something correctly before playing the race card on somebody.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071105/SPORTS07/71105034/1048/SPORTS&&imw=Y

Yeah, sure. That's what Saban said. That's what Williams said. That's what Smith said. :D :D

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Hmmm. My bad. I didn't read the Freep story. The News story I saw didn't have those comments.

Yeah, I might have stayed away from that if I was Dantonio. And actually, there really is nothing to be gained by going public with the fact you're that pissed about someone's comments. You come off, as we've seen on this thread, as whiney.

It's odd. I've actually dealt with Dantonio, and I'd never guessed he would've done that. He's a Tressel guy, and I can't conceive of an instance in which Tressel would jump into something like that.

Makes for good copy, though.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What makes MSU fans annoying? It's the sense of entitlement MSU football fans have which has no basis in reality since Duffy Daugherty exited stage left.

Since 1980, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Michigan, Ohio State and Illinois have all had a share of more Big Ten titles or won them outright. Penn State is tied with MSU.

The only schools they're ahead of in terms of conference titles since '80 are Minnesota, Purdue and Indiana ... and that's counting MSU's four-way tie for the 1990 title.

Yet MSU fans somehow think they're on par with the big boys. Not only are they Michigan's little brother, they're nearly everyone in the Big Ten's little brother.

I don't hate them, how could you? I just find any fanbase that has an inflated opinion of itself pathetic.

11. Kill, Bubba, kill!

[​IMG]

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I dont know that it's inflated as much as unreal expectations.
    Sparties I know root for their team, but -- like the football team -- one loss and defeat is a selffulfilling prophecy. And the inability to bounceback from the backbreaker is the MSU Legacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted