1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is going on in Shawano, Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Bagwan Shree Rashneesh bought up a ranch in the Oregon Gorge in the 1980s, pretty soon it had 7,000 residents. The shit hit the fan when they attempted to rig an election in The Dalles by infecting a salad bar with salmonella infecting 750. They were eventually driven out (but not in the Bagwan's collection of Rolls Royces.)

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Shit! Turns out the swinger report I saw was directly related. Having only seen this one part of their report on a visit at the time, I didn't have the deeper context.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate to even give them the satisfaction of a few web hits, but if you want to float into the Heart of Darkness, check out this faux-civic site clearly sponsored by sympathizers of the cult.

http://www.shawano-wisconsin.com/index.html

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It takes a lot of hard work and taking advantage of the chances you're offered to make it to cheif investigative correspondent

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Since no gay cannibalism or corpse desecration is involved, I'd have to say Shawano is +1.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hey, at least the cult built a "the longest and best go-kart track in the world."

I wish the Scientologists would take up the challenge here in Hollywood.

7. That is some weird stuff. I thought Keteyian handled himself well.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was one of the sites I found last night. It took me about a second to figure out I really didn't want to link to it in this context.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Da na na na na na na -- LEADER!

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The group's CEO, Naomi Isaacson (how can a murderous cult be led by a Naomi?) wants the World Court to get involved??

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Some helpful info from that site about the townfolk:

The German Lutherans and Catholics who settled northern Wisconsin (Shawano and Wausau) are religious descendants of Martin Luther and biological cousins of the same German Lutherans and Catholics who in World War II murdered six million Jews and millions of others who didn't fit their mold.

Well, that's reasonable.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I just watched the video, and I think the story was very well done.
    That lawyer was insane. "I think some people are afraid of CBS, that's my answer."

Draft saved Draft deleted