1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF is Black Label Society?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I always thought Carling was Canadian.
    I never understand why bad beers become trendy. It happened around here with Pabst Blue Ribbon a few years ago.
    Drinking bad beer out of necessity is understandable.
    Drinking bad beer in an effort to make some kind of pseudo-cool, ironic, hipster statement is pathetic.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is it still available in the UK?

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

When I first saw it, I asked my mother if she'd ever had it. Her response:

"Uuuuuuggggggghhh. God. Yes. Your uncle used to say, 'If flowers could piss, this is what it would taste like.' "

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Absolutely. They dropped Black Label from the name, but if you go into a pub and order a pint of Carling, that's what you'll get.

They're the main sponsor of Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers soccer clubs.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yes, and it still sucks.

Edit: GB beat me to it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tell me about it.

It was very big with the PIB's (People in Black) back in the '90's. Pathetic doesn't begin to describe it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Of all the beers we produce in this country--some great, some mediocre and in the case of Black Label, some fucking awful, Carling is one of the most successful in the Land of Beer, the UK.

Astonishing

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And not to be confused with Carlsberg, which also tastes terrible but will at least knock you on you *ss.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I wouldn't call Britain the Land of Beer. We certainly consume a lot of it, but I'd put Germany or Belgium ahead of us for that title in Europe.

Oh, and Carlsberg is also popular in Britain. Just goes to show you what a good advertising campaign will do. See also; Heineken. While a better beer than the other two, it benefitted greatly from its ad campaigns in the 80's and beyond.

The slogan "Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach" is one that springs to mind whenever the beer is mentioned. Here's one of the billboards they had when 'Dallas' and J.R. Ewing were at their peak.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I asked my hip, imaginary black friend, and he had no idea.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Mabel, Black Label! That's the ad slogan I remember. Sponsor of WFL football on TVS thanks to Bassett's involvement.

And let's call the UK the land of warm beer.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I too thought of Johnnie Walker Black.

Johnnie Walker Blue, however, is supposed to be the top of the class. Gotta get me some of that.

Draft saved Draft deleted