1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF happened to Syracuse football??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 31, 2007.

1. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Randy Edsall was one of Dick MacPherson's best recruiters at Syracuse. When Mac left and Pasqualoni got the job, Edsall knew he couldn't work for a tyrant and pulled the rip cord. Assuming Coughlin's asking price will be too high, I wonder if Edsall would leave UConn to return to Syracuse after the AD whacks G-Rob on Thanksgiving weekend.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

Didn't Syracuse recently open a new football facility?

Nonetheless, I'm consistently wowed by how much the Orange mess up opportunities in their prime recruiting area. They're not far from the Pennsylvania border, a day trip to Jersey and there's several quality high school programs in Syracuse and within an hour drive.

I second Brooklyn's comment. While their record doesn't necessarily show it, it seems like they've been getting better the last few years in a row.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Regarding Ray Rice, P.J. Hill also backed out of Syracuse when Coach P was fired and then headed to Wisconsin. Ironically, Syracuse hired one of Wisconsin's co-offensive coordinators.

And Pasqualoni's recruiting had become pitiful. You know it is bad when you read they beat out Temple or Buffalo for a recruit.

Coach P didn't even try to recruit a big-time wide receiver recruit from Syracuse (name slips my mind, Lavar Lobdell or something like that?) and Robinson came in, recruited him and signed him.

Of course, that's been about all Robinson has done right.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

those husky unis sure look damn nice, though, don't they?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

As you said, Patchs, it worked well at BC.

Granted, that was 15 years ago. Still, would've liked to seen him stay there for five more years. Really think they had something there.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

That's why Gross is building new facilities and raising money like it's going out of style. He's going to have to hire a "big name" coach if Robinson doesn't cut it.
    If Coughlin gets canned from the Giants after this season, what other NFL team would hire him?
    Makes sense to go back to college and get the biggest buck he can.
    Or maybe Joe Pa finally steps down and Penn State goes after him?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Tom Bradley and Greg Schiano would be the guys I'd see Penn State chasing, not Coughlin.

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that he was a candidate while in the Robinson search as well, but pulled his name out. I might be making that up, but I'm almost certain that was the case.

The best part of that whole deal was that Pasqualoni was mediocre - 6-6, I think - when he was fired, as the administration was worried that the program was going downhill. One win and 13 losses in the Big East later, it looks like it happened anyway.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Sorry sweetie, Rautins is out for the year, playing for your stupid national team. ;D

I beg your pardon. I'm quite happy with it. Great Borders store, Coach, H&M -- and it's about to get about four times bigger (thank you Destiny USA).

Back on topic. The Orangemen (I refuse just Orange) have been struggling for quite some time now. It's hard to believe that they would've won the Big East a couple of years ago if they didn't lose to Temple.

I'm not quite ready to dismiss Robinson as a coach yet, but I do have a problem with his happy-go-lucky attitude. One of the best coaches in our area said it best when he told me that any coach that just wants to have fun isn't doing his job.

The recruiting needs to get better fast.

BTW, FUCK DOUCHEBAG GROSS. Total fucking tool.

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I looked for this thread Saturday morning, knowing it was coming from somewhere; how come I couldn't find it?

Syracuse: uniforms better looking than Texas', football better than Michigan's. What are you whining about?

11. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Recruiting recruiting recruiting...

Syracuse has to start with getting the local kids. Brain Leonard told them to go f*ck themselves when they withdrew his brothers scholarship due to a knee injury. Others such as Mike Hart and Greg Paulus and his brother Mike they had no shot at. JoLonn Dunbar of B.C. wanted to play at SU until Pasqualoni insisted he play HB. He goes to Boston College and becomes one of the sickest linebackers in the country. This year will be the most critical for G-Rob and Cuse. There are 7 or 8 kids within an hours drive that will play Div. I. All of theese kids are being recruited by bigtime schools (ND, USC, Michigan, Florida etc.). If Syracuse wants to get back to respectability, they have to start on their home turf.

Ray Rice probably wasn't going to go to SU anyway. There was some wierdness surrounding that whole thing that didn't involve Coach P. getting canned. I don't think will we ever know what really happened.

They also have had bad luck with injuries. They landed this kid Jermaine Pierce who was going to be a stud a LB, gets on campus as a frosh this year, and they find out he has a medical condition that will never allow him to play football again. The good thing, if there can be one, is Syracuse is still honoring his scholarship for all four years. Many programs out there would not do that.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hey, it beats Archbold Stadium on a November afternoon...students used to sit on concrete slabs.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted