1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF does this mean, Time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Mar 26, 2007.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was reading this week's Time magazine story on Rudy Giuliani today when I came across this sentence:

"For the most part, the founders of Giuliani Partners were as New York as breakfast at Barney Greengrass."

What the hell does this mean? Is Barney Greengrass a NYC restaurant? I'm a well-educated, well-read professional. I've been to New York several times. But I don't know what this means. So I have two questions:

1. What does this mean--I assume our NYSportsJournalists.com crew can answer that.

2. Why the hell would Time put such a reference in a story in a magazine that circulates pretty well west of the Hudson? Have their writers and editors not left the friendly confines of the five boroughs in so long they don't know that NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN NEW YORK?

Rant over. Thank you for your time.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It means YOU'RE A LOSER!!!

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Probably ran up a huge tab there and instead of paying the bill told them they'd throw a reference into the story.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.barneygreengrass.com/welcome.php

First time I've heard of it. Apparently the founders of Giulani Brothers is as New York as eating at a New York restaurant.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bet the bagels and lox there is unbelievable.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

The Sturgeon King doesn't really need any advertising. I say that as a former NYCer, 17 years (*gasp*) removed.

Try their online shop at www.barneygreengrass.com

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My wife & I eat at several restaurants on Amsterdam Ave in the 80s and I've never heard of it. I'll have to ask her in the morning if she has.

8. Who the fuck cares about New York? Full of fucking rats, roaches and Bloomberg!

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, I wish you were from Cleveland. Spnited would have a fucking field day with you. :D :D :D

10. Why? I didn't say anything about Jersey being a cesspool with no redeeming value whatsoever. :D

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What about ... Breakfast at Tiffanys?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Nice Hitchhiker's Guide reference!

Draft saved Draft deleted