1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF Dan Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So what?

Parents are still pulling "Huckleberry Finn" out of libraries, too.

Again. Times change. What was funny 40 years ago may not be funny now.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Just because somebody writes using the N-word doesn't make them a racist. I've never read "Semi-Tough," but that's clearly first-person storytelling in a novel. That doesn't mean the author is racist, he's revealing the narrator's character. If you wanted to write a novel using first-person voice for a KKK leader, you think it would be OK to use the N-word?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have no problem with the word "nigger" as a literary matter. That's not the point.

Because most folks don't make that distinction. Sensitivities are sensitivities, as has been said on this thread.

4. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

The most offensive thing about this thread is how few people have read Dan Jenkins' books.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen to this one!

Taking offense at any and all remarks by anyone is not difficult nor is it useful. If YE is offended, then MAYBE Dan Jenkins owes YE Yang an apology/explanation. As to anyone else...

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't want to seem like I'm defending this kind of humor because I'm not. What I'm saying is stereotypes have been Jenkins gimmick for thirty years. He's always toed the line between offensive cracks and funny cracks both in fiction and journalism. So I don't think the debate, at least for me is, "How could he let this slip?" as much as it is "Is his brand of humor still funny?"

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

You know, now that I think about it . . .

Y.E. Yang, P.F. Chang. Yup, similar as can be. What was I thinking? A funny guy, that Dan Jenkins.

Lot of usually inquisitive and critical journalists apparently don't mind letting stuff go when it's someone they admire.

No, this brand of humor shouldn't be acceptable, not from a journalist in 2010. Unless he's bucking for an appearance on Family Guy.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dammit, I always thought of you as the cat too. Now you're less scary.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I thought it was a reference to Goth Talk:

[​IMG]

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of those mentioned, it's definitely one. Or the other.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I loved Goth Talk.

I always found Molly Shannon strangely attractive in the Goth Talk sketches.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh my god, I had forgotten about Goth Talk. Who would have thought I'd miss Chris Kattan?

Sorry for the threadjack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.