1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF Dan Jenkins?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

LTFU, Gargamel's cat.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What in Sam Hill is Gargamel's cat?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't read Jenkins' books. It's news to me that this is his brand of "humor." I don't care if this is his brand of "humor." This is 2010, not the damn 1950s and 1960s. Mickey Rooney wouldn't be in Breakfast at Tiffany's today.

What bothers me is that if Jenkins had made some crack about a prominent African American - let's say, President Obama - dudes would be up in arms. But he puts out some kind of mealy-mouthed, "Oh, uh . . . I meant a RESTAURANT!!!!!" bullcrap, and it's "Oh, well that's certainly sensible."

No. No it's f%$#ing not. The dude said something racist making fun of someone's name from a non-white culture, and he got called on it. He should be, for retaining a style of writing and "HUMOR!!!!!" that were more appropriate to American society of decades ago.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

More from pg 1 Semi Tough:

" I happen to be writing in my spare time between running over a whole pile of niggers in the National Football League. And let me set something straigh right away that bothers me. Just because I happen to say nigger does not mean i'm some kind of racist. One of the big troubles with the world of modern times, I think, I because somebody is always gettin hot because somebody else says nigger instead of neegrow.

Because of this very thing I said nigger just to get your attention. It has a certain shock value."

/ Billy Clyde Puckett

5. dooley_womack1

Sonic....Obama....nah, not close enough

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Gargamel was the bad guy on the Smurfs, and Azrael (sp?) was his cat/partner in crime.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm just posting what seems to be the prevailing blog opinion. Jenkins gets a pass from me on the grounds that he's a humorist.

But lots of other people are pissed.

Look at the post above this one.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Mmmm. Sonic. How good would a Cherry LimeAde be right now?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You're not helping Jenkins any.

10. dooley_womack1

I've never been prouder not to know something.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azrael

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Sports Illustrated approves. They have termed Semi Tough one of the best 100 sports books of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.