1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WTF Chicago Tribune?! Zell cutting into bone now

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I tell you the Chicago Tribune cuts 20 percent of its newsroom?? All online is coming. You folks think I'm crazy. That is absurd. 20 percent???

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Arlington Heights is gonna own Chicagoland. OH WAIT!

The freaking Sun-Times is going to be the survivor. What the hell.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Scoop up that Sun-Times stock NOW!

4. The Trib that came to my house this morning was a tabloid. Don't know if that's an aberration or what.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Pretty soon the Trib that will come to your house will be nothing but a bunch of 1's and 0's delivered through your cable or DSL line. Run by a bunch of zeroes, too.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This was happening before the recession, and unfortunately will continue after it.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

To be fair, that's now only one person.

8. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Paper near me gets the Trib baseball page. God, it's awful. So all readers in my area used to get an outstanding baseball page, now they get an extremely poorly edited page that is unreadable. Tribune Company is killing ALL the papers under its web, and it is having perhaps the worst Sports department in the Trib Chain building baseball pages. More good thinking.

9. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

I don't know what paper used to produce your baseball page. But the Tribune page is actually thorough.
    It has expanded boxes, notes, roundup and detailed standing.
    The standigns include a "quick hit" category. They try different things. Today, for example, it had information on broadcasting colleagues of Kalas.
    One problem is the paper has about a dozen deadlines to accommodate all the papers' deadlines.
    Possibly your paper's baseball page was better previously because there was more than one page for national coverage (like separate AL and NL pages).

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Isn't there some Chicago Tribune guy who comes on here occasionally to defend their place? He isn't going to appreciate the above take.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Can somebody link a PDF of the Trib page so we can judge for ourselves?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Whoever said the recession was over?

There have been reports that it's easing up, but it's still a slow process to recovery. Job losses and unemployment are still expected in all fields.

Draft saved Draft deleted