1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ's Best and Worst Jobs in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by for_the_hunt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My mother fucking hated it. That's why she went back to school and became a nurse practicioner.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I felt so bad for the nurses when my future wife was in the hospital for three weeks in 1999. Overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, yet they're the glue of the hospital.

We bitch and moan about being overworked, underpaid and underappreciated, yet even as the glue of whatever publication we're working for, we're not in charge of saving lives everyday. Nurses are. It's a crime how little they are regarded by the beancounters.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I saw that list and thought it was stupid as all get-out. Historian, philosopher, etc...whoever made this list has no appreciation for just how hard it is to get tenure and hold on to it. Even if you get it, and even at a top university, you often make less than an experienced tradesman (electricians, for example). The list shows no respect, as well, for the unbelievable work it takes to actually become a philosopher, etc. What cost those seven, 10, or more years of being a penniless grad student/research fellow/etc.?

Lastly, what's so horrible about being outside and working hard? I love being outside, that's one of the things I enjoy about covering sports, but I do wish this job involved more physical activity.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Right, a journalist

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

6. Computer Systems Analyst

Huh?!?! I can't remember how many times my father came home from work stressed out of his mind at work having doing this crap.

And...

15. Meteorologist

Makes me wish I never changed my major.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Not quite, MM:

"The findings were compiled by Les Krantz, author of "Jobs Rated Almanac," and are based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau, as well as studies from trade associations and Mr. Krantz's own expertise."

It was relayed to us by a journalist, but she wasn't responsible for the findings.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

14. Parole officer

Please explain. Isn't that line of work a bit too dangerous to qualify as the 14th-best profession in the world?

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Where was pimp? It ain't easy.

Draft saved Draft deleted