1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ's Best and Worst Jobs in the U.S.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by for_the_hunt, Jan 8, 2009.

1. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

Just saw this on Yahoo! and thought it was interesting, so I figured I'd share:
    http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB123119236117055127.html?mod=yhoofront#articleTabs_comments

It ranks 200 jobs based on "environment, income, employment outlook, physical demands and stress." Maybe the lack of physical demands gave journalism the boost it needed not to be lower ... according to this study, being a chauffeur requires more physical activity than being a journalist.

For what it's worth, newspaper reporter is ranked No. 140, right behind sewage plant operator (No. 118) and vending machine repairer (No. 126). It also just slipped past Janitor (No. 141).

The biggest surprises to me? Janitor and reporter ranked higher than surgeon and registered nurse. So, like I said, take this for what it's worth.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The world needs ditch-diggers too.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that (sadly)..

4. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

My lady friend is an actuary. This oughta make her smugness a little more intolerable.

(Just kidding, hunny!)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Going by the chart it seems that the boringer the better.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I can't believe that parole officer is among the top 14 in any criteria except job security.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

All the worse jobs are very legit jobs.

Nurse, construction worker, etc...

9. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Best Job: Weather person in Palm Springs ..."it'll be sunny and 85"

Worst Job: President of US

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Love the job description for No. 12, philosopher:
    "Studies questions concerning the nature of intellectual concepts, and attempts to construct rational theories concerning our understanding of the world around us."
    I wonder if the No. 12 ranking took into account the real danger of this profession. Like scalding yourself on the capuccino machine behind the Starbucks counter, or getting stabbed by a fellow hobo while fighting over a half-eaten sandwich.

And while there is a methodology to it that I can understand, the list does seem somewhat biased against manual labor jobs. Only two of the top 20 (biologist and parole officer) might involve any serious degree of physical activity.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm surprised firefighter is near the bottom. I've always thought that seems like a pretty decent gig.

I want to be a "roustabout" just so I could tell people that's my job.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Also thinks that's a pretty sweet gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted