1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ survey: Newspaper reporter is worst job in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hey Diaz!, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

This reminds me of one of my most vivid classroom memories as a political science undergrad a few years ago.

During one of my first classes, the prof asked: "Show of hands - who here wants to be a lawyer?"

About 90% of the class raised their hands.

He then continued: "Great! Hope half of you don't mind selling cars for a few years."

2. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Europe? Who the hell still working for a newspaper takes a trip to Europe?
    As a newspaper executive, I suggest you leave, or admit your wife works for the airlines or has frequent flyer miles. lol

3. dog eat dog world

Most papers will fire you if you double-dip with the obvious skills you have. That's classy too.

4. dog eat dog world

But..there is hope in this.
    Eventually they'll cut all writers and hire "stringers" on a "contract basis" throughout the news room. They can only "contract" with you on the story you write. You can spin the same story to three other publications and there's not a damn thing they can do to stop you.

5. They don't have to use your stories if you sell it to other publications.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, heaven forbid someone tries to make a living in this capitalistic society.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

As a desker, it's a little easier to work a second job since your hours are more predictable. I managed to do it for a few years (40-plus hours at the paper plus an average of 20-25 at the other job), but it was rough. I would go for six weeks or more without a real day off with at least one or two 16-plus hour days during the week. The lack of sleep is the worst part. Worked many nights until 12 or 1 a.m. and then had to be up at 5 a.m. the next day. And if you have any hobbies (heaven forbid a family), there is zero time for that. Any time you spend doing the things you actually enjoy cuts into your sleep and makes you more miserable the following day.

In retrospect, because I made more money I ended up spending more money. The more you spend, the less you save. The less you save, the less security you have. The less security you have, the more you feel like you need to earn more, hence feeling trapped in a life where you just work and sleep with nothing in between.

My advice? Lotto tickets.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Went to Europe twice in 2008, once in 2010 and going again this September.

Have zero debt. House paid off. All on a newspaper's salary, and all without the benefit of a second income in the house.

It really ain't that hard if you plan in your 20s, show a little discipline and get a little lucky (no family health problems, no long stretches of unemployment).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"a little lucky"

chortle chortle

BOOTSTRAPS!!

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just checked mine. Nothing but worthless paper. But one day... One day...

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Funny you should mention it.

There was a kid I sat next to in high school. We joked about lousy Love Boat episodes. Last week Time named him of the world's most 100 influential people.

Just lucky, right, Starman?

http://time100.time.com/2013/04/18/time-100/slide/kai-fu-lee/

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Phew. It's a good thing you linked to the correct page (I assume), or Starman would be really confused.

Draft saved Draft deleted