1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ survey: Newspaper reporter is worst job in U.S.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hey Diaz!, Apr 23, 2013.

1. peacer84

peacer84 Member

We have like eight full-timers in our newsroom and only one works a second job. It's obviously all about cost of living. If you're married and he/she works full-time, there's obviously going to be less of a need to work a second job.

But for those papers that are still paying less than 24,000 a year to start for single, young reporters, I could see having to have a second job. There aren't many regular daily papers that are above 5,000 circ., paying that low in my area, but I'd certainly believe it in other areas.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I misunderstood. That makes sense, and I do know a few who do freelancing on the side for extra cash.

I was thinking more along the lines of bank teller during the mornings, copy editor at night.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For two years, I was a copy editor/designer at night while going to school full time during the day. Including summer classes. God, that sucked. Kudos to those keeping a second job.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Many years ago I was working in a smallish TV market. I got a big promotion and then a couple of months later had someone else's job responsibilities added to mine -- all without a pay raise. I went to my boss to ask for a raise and she told me I was overpaid at $20k a year, and suggested I get a second job. She proudly pointed out that the station's main anchor was also a maitre d' at a big restaurant in town.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wasn't she concerned that it made the station "look bad?"

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I see no reason why it should be. At least in the following example.

Miami Heat beat reporter is asked to do a story on the Heat for some magazine's NBA preview issue.

Other than actually writing the preview, just about all the work (background knowledge, interviews, etc.) has been done for his main job. He writes the preview in two hours, cashes a decent-sized check.

This isn't a second job. It's easy money tapping the resources your main job provides.

7. That's when you start stealing the copper from the building.

8. PCLoadLetter

Remarkably, no. She seemed proud.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tell her you could get a job as a jizz-wiper at the local crank-and-yank peep show theater. That would probably be good PR for the station too.

10. PCLoadLetter

About 3 months later I was working in a bigger market with a roughly 75% raise and the Maitre D' was anchoring on CNN. Worked out OK.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mr. News Editor should have "strongly suggested" that Mr. Publisher pony up the gas mileage and some compensation for his driving time for Mr. Editor to do his grocery shopping 25 miles away. Barring that, Mr. News Editor should have "strongly suggested" that unless Mr. Publisher wanted further embarrasment, that Mr. Publisher give him a nice raise so he wouldn't have to use food stamps.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Maybe about 1/2 of our staff has second jobs. Mostly retail kind of stuff, some waiting tables. I count myself because I sell photography at craft shows on the side.

Draft saved Draft deleted