1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: Sports Illustrated, Fox Sports join forces

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Aug 24, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I know Sports Illustrated's name has taken a hit in recent years, but conflating its brand with Fox Sports should signal that they've basically given up on retaining what remains of their good reputation. Move makes sense, I guess. Fox Sports gains prestige, SI gets content.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Anyone keeping score on how many of Fox's alliances were going to make it competitive with the WWL? Feels like another dog and pony show.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Lugnuts likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

RIP, SI.

5. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

Fox's Website basically has been a video hub for the past year after it got rid of all the regional writers and most of the national ones. Only original writing now is they have writers who aggregate stuff and they hired some staff from USA Today's For The Win to make it more like that.
    Is the Peter King and MMQB stuff separate from SI along with his NBC deal?

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, like Chris clickbait Chase, who's like the Skip Bayless of blogging. He goes for whatever angle will infuriate the most people. He's also a terrible writer.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Saw a print edition of SI for the first time in awhile earlier this week in a doctor's waiting room. It was an Olympics issue, but it was also, way up near the front, a midyear swimsuit issue. I saw that and said, "farewell old friend."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was a very mediocre issue. Yet their "Where Are They Now" issue from a few months ago was outstanding.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Glad I was a subscriber during the glory days of SI.
    What a treasure, every week in the mailbox, for decades.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bet the fleeces will be real nice though.

CD Boogie likes this.
  11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

This is just the start of Murdoch organization buying SI.

Draft saved Draft deleted