1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ op-ed: Remember when WASPS ran everything? That was awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 24, 2013.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

There is a difference: President is a higher position. All members of the Harvard Law Review are given the title of "Editor," as far as I can tell. The President leads the Review, and is the editor-in-chief.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The guy is trying to claim the opposite is true, that the President position is political and not based on merit and the editor positions are based on merit. He's wrong about that. As I said, he has an axe to grind with black people.

3. Smallpotatoes

So is he correct or am I?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe they changed the title, but unless there's some kind of President/Prime Minister split, where he had a titular job, but someone else had the title and responsibilities of editor-in-chief, I don't see a difference.

If someone else was EIC, then that would be interesting.

5. Smallpotatoes

Most likely the guy just made up the claim. Ever since he was a young recent West Point grad and a mess Sergeant mouthed off to him and was not punished for it, he seems like he's had an axe to grind with black people. He needed a thicker skin.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think ants will do a better job running things than wasps.

[​IMG]

7. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

The President of the Harvard Law Review is the editor-in-chief. The editors of the HLR (there are 90 current editors) elected the President from within their rank. What that detractor was trying to intimate that prior to the early '70s, editors were chosen strictly on class rank and the HLR editor with the highest GPA was automatically chosen as the president. Then in the '70s Harvard Law stopped the class rankings. Half of the editors were chosen by a writing contest and the president was elected by a vote of all of editors of the HLR. The detractor is trying to intimate the Obama was a 'less worthy' president that say Elliot Richardson who automatically became president of the HLR under the old policy of being the editor with the highest GPA.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The American public has had it with Ivy League eggheads piloting our national adventure.
    I feel that shift has been sharp and decisive even before OWS.

Draft saved Draft deleted