1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ op-ed: Remember when WASPS ran everything? That was awesome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 24, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304367204579268301043949952

I tried very hard to read this Joseph Epstein article as a Jonathan Swift homage, but it isn't.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I do think it raises a good point, which is that the elite of the political class nowadays must come from the best schools rather than the best families. Maybe we'd be better off if there were other paths to those roles.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Never ran ANYTHING....just sayin'.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Even worse, because they make it there under the guise of "meritocracy"--as if that exists--they actually think they deserve to be there (rather than just being under there because they were lucky to be born in the right family).

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I can assure you the WASP elite also thought they deserved to be there. Good God, man, think of the riffraff who could could end up running things otherwise.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it means, if anything, but Epstein isn't a very WASPy sounding name.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Would agree if he were still with us:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of the many ass-backward things about his love of WASPy-ness is that he appeared to be all fine with the elite schools when all they let in were WASPs. Now that they let in eminently qualified, on paper, riffraff like Clinton, Obama and Cruz, the country is going to hell. And he double backflips by saying Truman and Reagan were great presidents because they didn't go to school or went to some shit little school. Huh?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Name the only current Senator without a college degree.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, he's not in the Senate anymore, but we don't have any proof that Barack Hussein Obama went to Columbia.

I know the answer, but I had to look it up, so I won't chime in.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm pretty sure they ran a train after each and every show they played back in the 80s.

Draft saved Draft deleted