1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ on the amazing shrinking deficit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Feb 6, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Interesting read, though I'm sure the thread will turn into a pissing match soon enough.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110009630

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

You might have a balanced budget -- even a surplus -- in 2012 if Congress lets the tax cuts expire after 2010.

Anyone offering projected numbers to this effect with the tax cuts intact is delusional. No one within a 500-mile radius of Washington is going to cut spending enough to make that happen.

And are war costs included in this budget? The writer seems to suggest that. That hasn't been the case before.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Let's see... in Clinton's final years we had a budget surplus. For fisical 2007 the Wall Street Journal is doing carwheels over a $172 billion deficit.
    I didn't take any economics courses in college, but to me isn't a deficit that big a bad thing, while a budget surplus is a good thing?

The editorial also makes the claim:
    But the editorial neglects the fact that the last two years in a row the average American spent more than he/she earned -- had a negative savings rate. So although household wealth might have grown by $14 trillion, none of it got saved, and more than that got spent. http://www.savingwithoutabudget.com/

4. The phrase, "Wall Street Journal Editorial" has been a synonym for "largely worthless swill" since about '80.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The non-partisan CBO took a decidedly different tone. Which one should I really believe?

6. Use the Force, Luke.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Call me when the war's on the books.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Who Is Fenian Bastard? " ..... was the heading

9. Eh?
    Gubba. Gubba.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

don't you recall those famous WSJ editorals of the clinton years that started out with heading

Who is .... such as Who Is Vince Foster or Who is Web Hubbell

11. I remember "Who Is Vince Foster?"
    They don't have the blood off their hands yet.

12. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I don't want the country sold out to a big national debt any more than the next person. However, as a very middling middle class person, with wife and two kids in tow, I can't argue that more money has stayed within my family with these cuts. And the people in Washington, regardless of party, are going to spend their asses off on all manner of unnecessary shit 'til death do us part, whether the tax cuts remain in place or not and no matter what level the deficit is at.

With that being the case, I prefer to continue keeping a little more of my money -- and I have been saving more because of it, between 401k and now starting a money market account. And the missus has been able to start contributing to her 401k because we've got a few more dollars around. Now I just hope I don't get my ass blasted off for making an honest assessment of my situation. Thanks in advance for your restraint.

Draft saved Draft deleted