1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ on Nick Saban and "medical" scholarships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Four career-ending injuries a year? This isn't 1970. Blown out knees and badly broken legs heal. Players are ready after a year.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a hell of a lot better than running kids off.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just one more way tha tthe NCCA is a fraud. In concept, it's a good idea. If this story is to be believed, an increase in oversight would seem to be in order.

4. The real "solution" to this is to have, say, an 80-scholarship limit and a 20-player maximum signing class every year. It would reward coaches who recruit academically prepared players and then retain them for four years, while punishing those who do the opposite.

It would never happen, of course. (I've also argued that because players are on one-year scholarships, they should be able to transfer at any time without penalty. That also will never happen).

I agree what Saban (and others) have been doing is an unsavory practice on the surface, but as many have pointed out, if he wanted to be truly ruthless, he would just non-renew the scholarships of players who aren't very good.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Better than this plan for getting scholarships back

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So a kid who is marginal football player at the D-1 level, at best, is offered a free ride to college, and doesn't have to practice. Damn Saban, what's he trying to do, get the right kids educated?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that Alonzo Lawrence basically flunked out of Alabama, and then did so again at Southern Miss. That's why he's in junior college in his third year out of high school, and why he won't be headed to a four-year school this January. He'll either have to go to Division II in the spring of 2012 and have two years of eligibility, or go to Division I and have one year left.

I can't speak for the other guys, but Alonzo Lawrence is full of shit.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Saban needs to be congratulated. His free agent signings don't pan out (high school eligible athletes that sign letters of intent), so instead of cutting them he offers them full scholastic opportunities without them having to commit to the football team.

Sounds exactly like a responsible college football coach.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, it's shady, but there are many practices that college football coaches do that are 100 times more shady. At least these kids get a free education, which is what college kids are supposed to be in college for.

The worst for me is asshole coaches who corral 37 commitments and then figure out the day before signing day which 12 are going to get fucked over.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Shaggy,

It's worse than that because they oversign and keep the kids beyond signing day. Then down the road, if everyone qualifies and stays eligible, they have to cut people. So you may have a kid who is on a roster for 6 weeks after signing day and then gets cut loose. Or in some circumstances, you'll have a player, who gets axed in July right before practice starts.

Draft saved Draft deleted