1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ Newsstand Price Goes To $2 On July 28

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ben_Hecht, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My word.

Library, here we come.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually don't think it will hurt them that much.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The WSJ is the bottled water of journalism.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's an outstanding comparison.

It also doesn't hurt that virtually everybody who gets the paper can either expense it, write it off, or is too rich to care.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That's a simplistic and ignorant comparison.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Really? They figured out how to charge people more for what others give away or charge very little for. That's what water bottlers did. Of course it's simplistic, but explain to me how it's ignorant.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

I saw it in the store yesterday, and it was $1.50. I think within the last two years, it was $1 or $1.25. I decided to wait until I got to the library.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Price was first bumped just as latest sale was announced.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's not simplistic, but I think it's wrong. Newspapers are killing most of their financial coverage and the WSJ is aimed at a very niche, targeted audience. It's never been for people who want the stock tables and a business story or two. In fact, isn't the WSJ the standard bearer in figuring out how to get people to pay for online content?

It's like bottled water only if most of the taps have been shut off.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Still free online.

When will newspapers realize that the online product is not the "supplement" to the main dead-tree product?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We went from $1 to $1.25 last month. Our Sunday sales are up from last year.

We went from 35 cents to 50 cents daily, and same thing.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Songbird: My guess is that the price increased because of costs, gas, and other adjustments related to the higher energy prices. If the area is growing or the product is promoted better, I could see how sales could be up. I think 35 to 50 cents wouldn't make that much difference because you probably fished two quarters or a dollar out of your pocket anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted