1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: Most-praised generation goes to work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

At my company (I'm not a writer and don't work for a paper/TV or radio station or magazine, so keep that in mind), you just have to assume you're doing things right until you're told you're doing it wrong. I imagine it's that way in a lot of places. We don't get a lot of feedback, but we do have a good bit of autonomy. I've noticed that the younger people in my office have a hard time with this, but they've either gotten used to it or moved on.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you think it is bad now, wait until the next generation comes along.
    My sister runs a youth sports association, all the pee-wee teams play in the different leagues that she runs.
    They have a youth swim team and I found out that for the younger kids, they only put three in a race so that way they all get a medal or trophy.
    My sister being a former mega-competitive professional athlete I asked her how she felt about it. She responded with a string of profanity, in several languages, that would have made a sailor blush. So needless to say, she doesn't like it.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Can she find another league?

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've never won a trophy or a medal and yet, somehow, I've managed to graduate from a great school, carve out a decent career and a good, happy 38 years for myself. Should I feel short-changed since I'm trophy-less? Good grief. ::)

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can she find another language?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This whole culture of corporate stroking is being driven by a couple of marketing guys that wrote a book -- The Carrot Culture.

http://www.carrots.com/

The idea is that you will create happy employees with continuous recogniton. What really ends of happening after 6 months is that your employees start to feel like trained circus elephants and tire of the peanuts thrown at them.

What most do not realize is that the guys who wrote the book are marketing executives for a company that wanted to find a way to sell their products.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The letters to the editor about the article today are entertaining. One guy wrote that if it were up to him, he would lose the confetti consultant and find an offshore employment consultant.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Al Queada has a confetti consultant?

"Today we honor Youseff for his work in blowing up the children's clinic. Youseff has been a loyal terriorist to the cause. As I release the confetti please put your hands together and clap in honor of our brother Youseff." Youseff come on up and say a few words"

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOOSER!!!

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

Cadet is the voice of wisdom on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted