1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ: Most-praised generation goes to work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

You really don't think there's something to it? Maybe it's just the age in general, I don't know. But I think the proliferation of MySpace and Facebook pages, along with reality television, have given people a real outlet for narcissism this decade.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Underling? UNDERLING? Mr. Manager, you've hurt my feelings. I think I'm going back to my cubicle to have myself a good cry...

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the point here, Bubs. The article doesn't say anything about giving positive feedback when someone fucks up, just that younger employees these days (thanks to the older generation's incessantly telling them how special they are) need positive feedback to feel their work is valued.

It also points out that older generations got positive feedback as well, it was just more formalized with awards dinners, etc. (sound familiar to us journalists?). Nowadays, apparently, the kids want balloons and confetti.

I think a lot of the stuff in that article was ridiculous (25-50 POUNDS of confetti???), but I see nothing wrong with complimenting your workers when they do a good job. I know that as an editor, I do try to balance out my negative feedback with positive feedback. Not that I'm going to do it on the same story, per se, but when I think one of my writers has done a good job, I let them know. When they do a lousy job, I tell them that, too.

I am part of the "Everyone Gets A Trophy Generation" and I think a lot of us are a bunch of whiny little bitches who need a pat on the head for simply doing what they're supposed to (as Chris Rock once said, "What you want, a cookie? You're SUPPOSED TO!").

I don't think I'm one of those people, but I do like to receive feedback, whether it's good or bad. I like to know what I'm doing well and what I need to work on. I think that's the best way to improve at my job.

Some people can't handle criticism. My feeling is, if someone can't handle criticism, then you probably don't want them working for you anyway because they're never going to get better at what they do.

I think there are a lot of benefits to giving your employees positive feedback. But there can also be a lot of negatives if you do it too much, have quotas for happy notes, or do some of the lame-ass stuff mentioned in the above article.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Sometimes, I hate my generation. This, in fact, is one of those times.

And let's not completely blame "soccer" for this. Hell, damn near every class in college has an attendance policy that says you get extra credit if you miss less than two days. That's a fuckin' joke.

The first day one of those "celebration assistants" threw confetti at me ... "Don't you ever throw that shit at me again."

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You lived in lake? You lucky bastard!

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd probably just duct-tape her to the wall.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Boots can stick up for Rob Parker, I can blame soccer and you can't stop me....

And yeah, I'd probably be making a "celebration assistant" cry...

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

If we'd get rid of soccer, this world would be a utopia.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Self-esteem, unearned.

You could see this coming, years away.

I may vomit.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I said to myself, what a wonderful world...

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

You sound like some of the high school football coaches in this area. I've heard stories of them seeking out the soccer coaches to call them communists.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does, "Hey, nice tits" work?

Draft saved Draft deleted