1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ editorial: Boehner and McConnell handing Obama relection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Re: WSJ editorial: Boehner and McConnell handing Obama relection

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

The Democratic Party has long been a disorganized clown car, and I say this as someone who's fairly left.

The Republican Party, however, only recently became a disorganized clown car. So it's not so much that the Democrats have gotten better, it's just that they're on sort've even footing now that the GOP has completely fallen apart.

I am truly interested in news coming out of Congress right now, but only because of how f*ck'd up it is.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Then he should say it won't happen, let them try to attach it to the negotiations again, and watch the fireworks fly.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

The Republicans are in a bind right now. The domestic economy is improving despite what's happening in Europe. At this point, it's difficult to do something reckless and be able to blame it on Obama because with things looking up, if you do something unpopular and things trend back down for whatever reason, it'll look like cause and effect.

If you cut the payroll tax break while the economy was still at the bottom of its free fall, you could blame any negative effect on any of a number of other factors. Now, that's getting a bit more dicey.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The wildcard to the Keystone thing is that labor unions are massively in support of it.

And if the past is any indication, Obama chooses labor over eco every time. I think he'll approve it but use it as a carrot to get something better in return from the GOP.

6. BrianGriffin

You make a good point. I'd add that part of what made the message ring true to many was the implication that things were bad because taxes were strangling the economy.

As far as the Keystone thing, isn't that basically a big public works program? Is what the GOP after a tax hike and a new public works program?

7. BrianGriffin

Upon further review, you are correct, it would seem. I am Keystone agnostic as of now. Neither for it or against it. Simply don't know enough.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I am hesitantly for Keystone. Yes, it'll make a bunch of Canadian fat-cats richer, but if it keeps my fill-up under $40 and provides stabiility for the oil market, it will help the economy immensely.

In fact, I'm surprised the GOP is for it for this very reason. I guess the reasoning is it won't start providing benefits until 2017, when it's even odds they'll be back in the White House.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There's no reason at all to expect that it will do anything to even remotely affect gas prices. And in continuing to put off a needed and inevitable move away from oil, it may benefit the economy in the short term but certainly won't in the long term.

But hey, as long as gas is cheap, right?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To reiterate the obvious. Oil, like any commodity, relates to supply and demand. Demand has by far the largest impact on oil prices. You want cheap gas? Root for a depression in China -- and here. The idea there's some fantasy supply of oil that'll drive down prices is a delusion peddled by the energy industry.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Price of oil relates more to the commodity traders.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Political decisions are often short-term oriented because that is how most politicians think - what is going to give me the best chance to win my next election? And they think that way because voters also often vote that way - what is going to make me feel the best right now and in the short-term?

The long term? That's a problem for another day.

Draft saved Draft deleted