1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ editorial: Boehner and McConnell handing Obama relection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 21, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Let's see where the economy is in six months. The midsummer economy will tell the story. Right now, it looks promising for Obama, but he may actually be in more danger by what happens in Europe than anything any GOP candidate does.

Our economy looks set to rebound if Europe doesn't screw it up.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

An epic load of shit that folks from both political persuasions should be pissed off about. Extraordinarily stupid move by GOP/Boehner.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

https://twitter.com/#!/cspan/status/149514550285312001

C-SPAN has no control over the U.S. House TV cameras - the Speaker of the House does.

It's pretty well-known that Congresscritters for years have pissed into the wind at a C-SPAN camera as a stunt, which is what Hoyer was doing. So let him piss. Instead, Boehner cuts it off like the petulant bastard he was being. Doesn't he get that makes it worse? So instead of Hoyer grandstanding to nobody on the House floor, the story is about Boehner and the Republicans being obstinate jerks.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Exactly why the teabaggers are trying to FUCK IT UP RIGHT NOW.

They figure they drop a big turd in the punch bowl now, people will be good and mad at Obama by the end of the summer.

The people who lose their jobs, lose their homes, starve and die in the interim, well tough shit for you. That's the price somebody has to pay to get the M.N. out of the White House -- might as well be you.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And typically, they haven't though ahead as to what might happen if Obama is re-elected. Then they'd be stuck for four more years with the guy (unless they try to impeach him over some ridiculous little thing like picking his nose in front of the Prime Minister of Estonia), who then can go in full F-U mode because he doesn't have to face another election.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just don't see the GOP electing more moderate members of the House or Senate in the near future, if anything, they'll be more conservative (those that win the general).
    Boehner's problem is that he doesn't have enough strength/support to do what most Speakers do in situations like this - rip committee chairmanships from people who aren't going along to get along.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But see, this is part of the conspiracy.

These people don't think (when they think at all) that government will work, they don't think it CAN work, they don't want it TO work, and they are going to do everything they possibly can to make sure it does NOT work.

Then they'll all go on their designated propaganda organ to piss and squeal about the government not working.

Four more years of a constipated congress, all federal appointments stonewalled, nobody will pass anything the president even breathes a hint of being in favor of, the minority party in one house completely roadblocking everything? That's exactly what they want.

It's like hiring a member of the Flat Earth Society who swears it is impossible for man to fly to pilot the space shuttle.

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Wow. Has anyone ever done this before?

I know C-SPAN isn't a mandated public service, but I can't recall this ever happening before. And I love to watch Congressmen on C-SPAN rhetoric passionately to empty rooms.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, that was a bitch-ass move by the Speaker.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Something both sides of the SJ aisle can agree on, I bet...

...this looks like crap:

http://youtu.be/V4YlDkCIoIs

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not anything I'm likely to watch...

But holy crap, does Julianne Moore make a great Sarah Palin.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, seriously.

At Boehner's next press conference, I hope the first question asked is, "Mr. Speaker, why did you want to deny millions of Americans the ability to directly view their taxpayer dollars at work?"

Draft saved Draft deleted