1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ editorial: Boehner and McConnell handing Obama relection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/charles-krauthammer-the-republicans-have-been-entirely-outplayed-on-payroll-tax-cut/

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

McConnell's only goal -- his and the Republicans ONLY goal -- is to boot Obama for office. Their ONLY goal. Fuck what's good for America, fuck what's good for the American people, fuck anything that stands in the way of these assholes and power.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's a simple problem. If Boehner compromises to pass ANYTHING Obama wants, the majority of his caucus will kick him out of his job. But this may come to that. Wonder if we'll hear from Romney on this issue? Just kidding. He won't say boo.
    TSP, that's the point of this issue. Preventing an extension of the payroll tax cut is apparently HELPING Obama get re-elected, and more to the point for Republican Senators and Reps, helping them get de-elected.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

To paraphrase LBJ, if the Republicans have lost Krauthammer on this issue, they've lost America.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Their way of getting their goal is to obstruct anything Obama wants. Obama wants to give every American a cookie? Can't have a cookie, they are bad.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, it's the opposite. The GOP House is NOT willing to bargain. The reason the House shit the bed is because the Tea Party howler monkeys squealed once it appeared Boehner would agree to the two-month extension. They don't want a speaker who can get the best deal possible. They want their way or the highway.

What these idiots don't realize is that not only will their attempts to lard up the payroll tax extension with the Keystone pipeline and other crap cause a backlash, but they are cutting down their negotiating position for extending the Bush tax cuts. After all, how can the House GOP (not that they won't try) with a straight face argue that any tax increase is bad for the economy, and that tax cuts will get us out, and then explain why the wealthiest need their tax breaks when they didn't vote for (or put all sorts of conditions on) a tax break for people who aren't wealthy?

What the Tea Party doesn't get, too, is that the world is moving under its feet. While there certainly is still a feeling that government spending is unsustainable, there is also a feeling that the so-called "job creators" are contributing to the problem, not solving it. Even six months ago, you didn't hear politicians, particularly those from the right, acknowledging income inequality, but you hear it now.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Obama: "These guys oppose everything I do and don't give in. If I wanted to pass a bill giving everybody $1,500, they'd oppose it, they're so stubborn."

Advisor: "Then do it."

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, those Tea Party seniors screaming about keeping government away from their Medicare are going to scream once their doctor stops taking the plan (or stops taking new patients) because of a 27% pay cut coming Jan. 1 that was supposed to be reversed in the payroll tax bill.

I'm sure that, and the payroll tax itself, will be taken care of (and made retroactive to Jan. 1) when Congress comes back in mid-January. Check that -- I'm not so sure, unless those seniors once waving Tea Party signs now beat their representatives start beating their heads with them when the Congresscritters are home for the holidays.

Unfortunately, where we're going to have more gridlock comes courtesy of those 2010 elections, which allowed Republicans to draw district lines in many states. So if people want to see the worst of the Teahadists out, it's probably going to have to come through a primary, not a general election.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He's not doing a very good job of it.

Obama is in a great position. Just sit back and watch the idiots fuck things up.

Too bad all of us pay the price in the end.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, and I'd encourage TigerVols to change the link so we don't have to give clicks to that soulless thief Arianna Huffington and can instead give clicks to that soulless thief Rupert Murdoch. :)

I thought the editorial itself was another example of the Journal saying, without actually saying, that the problem for the Republicans is that they suck at the inside-baseball aspects of politics even though they have all the right ideas. That's a fine stance to take (and I'm sure many Republicans agree), but I thought they meandered around the point too much.

As far as the actual substance of the discussion . . . When don't politicians cut off their nose to spite the other party?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Cantor sure as hell won't. He's an ambitious little shit, carrying all that water for his corporate masters.

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/

Rush Limbaugh talked about this today on his show.

Draft saved Draft deleted