1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ defends use of Mr/Ms in sports coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 14, 2010.

1. Wouldn't they just be referred to as

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I worked at one place where the owner/publisher/editor insisted on Mr/Ms/Coach, etc., even in sports copy.
    I thought it was pretentious. I still do.
    In news copy, it especially seems stupid when referring to mass murderers or something like that.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It is ridiculous on its face to see 'Mr. Ochocinco' in print. Which I have seen in that publication.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

What the hell kind of waste of time is this move?

5. printdust

printdust New Member

This is CEO stuffy language.....hell with 'em.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A (female) colleague told me about working at a paper in the 1980s where they demanded titles. She said when she covered women's sports, she would have to ask each player if they were married so as to avoid being wrong about Miss or Mrs. That, to me, is absolutely ridiculous and a bit chauvinistic.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Regular readers of the source of the rebuttal should not be in the least surprised.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

To me, use of titles says they aspire to something better. Perhaps it's overly formal, but I don't see that as a bad thing. If it means a writer or three changing their habits while writing, dem's da berries. As much as we'd all like to think otherwise, we're still the hired help.

I take issue with this part, though:

I'm not sensing desperation from the fans. The vast majority of them are rubber neckers, which I would submit precludes desperation for civility.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't see anything wrong with doing it, but I can't think of a compelling argument to do it, either.
    It's sort of the old standby of not writing four words when two will do.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I could have understood a more legitimate explanation. Instead, they chose to be jackasses about it. They've had a few decent sports stories since expanding their coverage, but I've seen quite a few stories where their facts came in on the Pluto Express. This explanation on honorifics is in line with their simplistic understanding of the sports world.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

The problem with all their references in their story (i.e. Mr. Met, Mr. Peanut, et al) is that they don't have first names, or at least I don't know of them. Mr. Peanut is his name. So wouldn't he be Mr. Mr. Peanut or wouldn't it be Mr. Mr. T in the WSJ?

I mean, the honorific replaces the first name, does it not? And what do you do when you don't know the first name, or the person has no first name that we know of?

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

I was once quoted in a NYT article, not in sports, and was asked whether I was a Miss, Mrs. or Ms. Considering I NEVER use those in any other aspect of my life, it was like asking why I hadn't brought my white gloves to lunch. And considering the story had nothing to do with whether or not I was married, a feminist or a virgin, it was a little too all up in my business.

But I bet it won't come up much since I don't see the WSJ sports section covering a lot of women. Note those examples in the ed. save Ms. Williams were male.

There was no reference to a syrup called Butterworth. Or a flavor enhancer called Dash. Just sayin.

Draft saved Draft deleted