1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ defends use of Mr/Ms in sports coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 14, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Always seemed incredibly stuffy and pretentious to me, but it's their style. Frank Deford made the case on NPR that they should drop the titles, this is WSJ's response.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB10001424052748704635204575242390651358172.html

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Good god, what smarm. Not even the NYT uses courtesy titles in sports.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

For the Sports pages, it just looks goofy.

Does the WSJ use the honorifics for people who go by one name?

Ms. Madonna played to a packed house at the stadium Friday night.

Mr. Pele scored four goals for the Cosmos.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's smarm, but one of my former publications used it. Mr., Miss and Mrs. and Coach in sports. A little much ...

5. dooley_womack1

I meant the condescending WSJ response.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In reference to that crap, calling is "smarm" was being kind, Dools. Epic arrogance comes to mind.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The kind of arrogance, say, that might motivate someone to take to the airwaves of NPR to offer unsolicited advice to a newspaper on the changes you'd like to see made to that newspaper's style guide?

8. dooley_womack1

I have no idea what words Deford used to make his case, but I doubt they were as snotty as the words quoted from the WSJ period. That this is still an issue in 2010, when you would have thought courtesy titles would have gone out with referring to females 18 or older as girls, is shocking. Anyhoo, so I guess we shouldn't have editorial pages, because that would be giving unsolicited advice to people.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The DMN dropped courtesy titles a couple of years ago (finally!) and never used them in sports, but I believe first-name people like Madonna and Pele didn't get them.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Dools, I'm of the opinion that if a newspaper wasted its valuable editorial-page real estate on whether or not another media outlet should or shouldn't use certain words, that'd be a pretty huge waste of time.

I'm also of the opinion that Frank Deford comes off all too often as a pompous ass.

And with that said, courtesy titles are still dumb.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

From now on, they will be simply referred to as Mister:

[​IMG]

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Even when I see the obligatory Mr. and Mrs. in obituaries, it's a little jarring to me. The last-name-second-reference thing works for every living person on earth, but they die and you feel a need to ramp up a new level of respect? We'll dog you as overpaid on a daily basis, but when you die, we're immediately reverent.

Draft saved Draft deleted