1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ -- 40 percent of Federal student loans behind in payments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 7, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I'd rather talk to oop, in person, about the Pirates.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You'd think it would have been presented honestly, then. The CBO doesn't evaluate it as a budget expense. And it was never thought of as an entitlement program (maybe you saw it that way, but it wasn't sold that way). In fact the current administration (the one before too) maintains that it will generate a profit over the long term -- even as they miss their revenue projections.

You can't have it both ways. You can't sell it as "Subsidized loans for everyone. ... and it will generate income!" And then when it predictably ends up being a prime example of risk miscalibration creating a mountain of debt, and the money being allocated (predictably) poorly -- say, "Well sure it may turn out to be pretty costly, but we didn't really mean it when we sold it that way." Otherwise, it is the same old bullshit populism translating in reality to more debt we're all on the hook for.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not responsible for what anyone else said. Of course it is bullsht populism.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I am going to type this out very carefully ...

I. Was. Not. In. Academia. When. I. Lived. With. My. Parents.

I. Pursued. And. Earned. My. Doctorate. And. Tenure. Many. Years. After. I'd. Married. And. Been. On. My. Own.

Maybe you can't fuck this up ... but then again you are you.

5. doctorquant

I think we might be a bit concerned that a government program aimed at such has led to: 1) hundreds of thousands of people who owe shitpiles of money borrowed to pursue training in careers with very modest earnings prospects; while 2) seeing the cost of that training soar as a result of the "cheap" money coursing in.

franticscribe and YankeeFan like this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait. He was being sarcastic, wasn't he?

Seriously, I think he was kidding, and maybe taking a shot at me.

7. doctorquant

Stepping out of form and being clever requires you to actually have been clever at some point or another. It's all about the credibility ...

YankeeFan and LongTimeListener like this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It is enlightening to read the "Vistor Posts" on Ashford Universiy's Facebook page. A good number of posts are devoted to people asking when their student loan deposit is coming.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I agree. But this isn't some new problem the WSJ discovered.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"I worked hard and earned tenure. But my parents let me live at home rent-free a while after I got out of journalism, so I really can't take credit for that tenure thing."

If your parents made you pay rent, or you weren't living with them rent-free, how do you think that would have affected your future ability to have worked hard and earned tenure?

Let's say, instead of having Mom and Dad fund your housing, you had to do it yourself. Instead of doing whatever you were doing, you had to work in order to pay rent. Or, already having a job, you had to either work a second, or third job, in order to pay rent. And because you were either working longer hours, or spending money on rent instead of other things, that affects your future. Instead of saving money for your academic pursuits, for instance, you had to use that for rent.

Compare that to someone who didn't have the advantage that you had in terms of getting free housing from Mom and Dad. They're spending their time supporting themselves, while you are living rent free.

So, while you certainly have worked hard and earned tenure, you did have an advantage over someone else who may not have had that advantage. And while there is nothing wrong with using your advantages, don't keep pretending that everyone has the same obstacle course that you successfully navigated. And don't be lecturing others about how they weren't able to be as successful as you are when they may not have been able to have the same advantages, whether it's loaning money for a business, or providing free rent, or having college paid for.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OMG. He wasn't kidding.

12. doctorquant

See?

Draft saved Draft deleted