1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WSJ -- 40 percent of Federal student loans behind in payments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What a terribly written story.

What does it mean that they "weren't making payments"? Does it just mean that you are late on your current payment? They give you 90 days before they report it to a credit agency. I'm always late. Every single month. Am I a part of the 43 percent?

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Ragu has a problem with accuracy with the thread title. Default rate is 16%.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Just another journalist cuttin' through a buncha bullshit to give it to us straight.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The story wasn't difficult for me to follow.

1 in 6 are in default. They had not made a payment in more than a year. That was 3.6 million people. Which is a huge default rate for any loan portfolio.

On top of it. ... Another 3 million people were at least a month behind in their payments. And another 3 million people on top of that have been given deferments. It points out that the nonpayment rate would be much higher without a recent surge in a program for distressed borrowers that lowers their payments.

What you stated isn't true. Your payments get reported to the credit reporting agencies on a timely basis. What a late payment does to your credit score is a different story -- not that that is the mark of whether you have been timely or not in your payments, which is simply a matter of whether you are up to date. Your credit score will typically suffer from a 30 day or 60 day late payment. But the damage isn't usually lasting if it is an infrequent occurrence. When you are 90 days late, it typically causes more lasting damage to your credit score.

5. The Big Ragu

I stand corrected. The default rate is 16 percent. The number behind on their payments is more than 40 percent. I will edit the thread title to reflect that 40 percent are behind in their payments.

6. Dick Whitman

You're wrong.

My student loan payments do not get reported to the credit agencies unless they are 90 or more days late.

7. Dick Whitman

I stand corrected on this:

Three million more owing roughly $66 billion were at least a month behind.

I'm rarely ever more than 30 days behind, though I may have been on January 1, due to Christmas. It's not a great time to get an accurate gauge of how up-to-date people are.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Anyone else standing corrected?

9. The Big Ragu

Dude, take a step back. Take a deep breath. Stop reflexively arguing for a second.

ALL OF YOUR LOAN payments (and missed payments) -- whether it is a credit card, a home mortgage, a car note, a personal loan, etc. .. -- get reported every month to the credit reporting agencies. That is what the credit reporting agencies do. They collect data from lenders and then they share the data across lenders to help them assess your credit worthiness.

What the credit reporting agencies do with the data they collect has nothing to do with whether you are up to date on your payments. You are thinking, "It doesn't hurt my credit score in a lasting way until I am 90 days late." That may or may not be true, actually.

10. Dick Whitman

Put it this way: Yes, every payment gets reported to the credit reporting agencies, every month. And it is absolutely true that it does not hurt my credit score in any lasting way - or whatsoever - until I am 90 days late. In fact, the lender has told me - multiple times - that they do not report the payment as late, at all, until it is 90 days late.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

We've corrected Ragu's headline, but the WSJ's headline -- "More Than 40% of Student Borrowers Aren’t Making Payments" -- is major suckage. Given the publication, it would be easy to take as intentional fear-mongering.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Am I supposed to be surprised that the student loan program isn't an investment-grade loan portfolio but rather a thinly veiled carpet-bombing of money into the education system?

Draft saved Draft deleted