1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

W's Memoir Due Out In Nov.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 26, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

George W. Bush's Presidential memoir is coming out in Nov. Not sure I could convince myself to read it. Was amused that he and Mrs. Bush had not compared notes, and that she has a book due out next month. Wonder if, although I doubt he would, he would own up to some of the things that had some Americans reeling, like the Scooter Libby matter, and what he now thinks of his administration as the "most moral" one, after succeeding Clinton.

Discuss.

http://www.pantagraph.com/entertainment/arts-and-theatre/article_1cf9d9b6-5131-11df-a099-001cc4c03286.html

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And each copy comes with a set of crayons!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read Clinton's monster of a memoir back when it came out and was bored to tears. I don't think there has ever been a presidential memoir that was even remotely interesting.

They get paid a fortune to do it, so they kind of have to do it and they're not required to reveal anything scandalous, which just about any other celebrity would to merit the $5-$10 million advance that some of these people get.

I've read Bush's book before he was president and I've read one of Obama's books and I've Jimmy Carter's book and none of them are even 1/1000th as interesting as the book Carl Bernstein wrote on Hillary.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember reading an interview with Clinton's editor who apparently cut that door stop down to half of the original ms.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ulysses S. Grant's is excellent and is considered to be the best by a long shot.

Of course, 99 percent of it is the Civil War. I think he might have mentioned that he became president in the last graf or so.

But it's well worth picking up.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WFFW.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the time when Clinton's book came out, I was a member of a book club where they were mailed to me. I was a member of that club for 24 months and the only book that wouldn't fit in my mailbox was Clinton's.

I remember being excited to get it and disappointed after I finished it. The best book I read on Clinton's presidency was from Stephanopolous.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wished I'd bought the two-book paperback edition. Less strain on the body carrying it around.

In the non-US division of world leader memoirs, Margaret Thatcher's two volume set was very good.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As for national leaders, Churchill wrote some good stuff ;)

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The former president's choice for a book title is a yawner.

"The Decider" of "Mission Accomplished" would have been better.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Since Bush saw the world in Goofus and Gallant black-and-white when it came to enemies so ...

[​IMG]

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

As someone who lived through this national nightmare, I have no desire to re-visit it.

Pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted