1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrongly convicted man freed after 29 years - Cavs provide courtside seats

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, May 6, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

One of those stories that's both horrifying and finally uplifting.

Ray Towler was released after serving 29 years of a life sentence for a rape he didn't commit. DNA testing, of course, revealed his innocence. He doesn't sound bitter and hasn't spoken of money, although he's in line for a seven-figure settlement. The judge broke down when announcing his release.

The guy's also a big Cavs fan. The team heard about his case and gave him courtside seats for Game 5 of the Celtics series. The guy might get to see LeBron's final home game as a Cav.

Also interesting is that he's the third person released since the Columbus Dispatch started a series in 2008 called Test of Convictions. The paper works with the Innocence Project to look at hundreds of cases.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Indians offered a dugout suite. He said he'd been in prison long enough.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They were actually trying to woo him to sign a free agent contract. They've had some success with ex-cons before.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Very well played, TSP. Kudos.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yes, the classic Beano Cook quote about Reagan giving the freed hostages lifetime MLB passes. "Haven't they suffered enough?" Beano intoned.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, what a level-headed, remarkably un-pissed-off guy.
  7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

Can't believe a jury convicted him. Everyone knew he could get all the pussy he wanted.[/Drip]
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, JD, only you can :D
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I feel terrible for him, even though he doesn't feel terrible for himself.

I commend the Ohio Innocence Project for doing a great service.
  10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

His equanimity borders on the astonishing, considering what he lost.

The lack of anger or spite is almost superhuman.

A great ending to a debacle.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hope is works out better than the story I covered for years in Wisconsin...

Covered Avery's release from prison in 2003, on 18 years of a rape conviction where DNA evidence came out against him. Avery had done a bunch of "smaller crimes" leading up to that - setting cats on fire, etc.

In 2005, Avery raped a young woman, got his 16-year-old cousin to join in the rape, he killed her and burned her body.

Let's just say the Wisconsin Innocence Project has had a harder time fundraising of late...
  12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I know this might sound weird, and I'm all for what the Cavs are doing for the guy but...

Maybe an arena with tens of thousands of screaming people isn't the best place for someone who was just released from nearly 30 years of prison. I mean, don't you think the guy might be freaked out just a bit after all of that structure?

Good for him anyway.
Draft saved Draft deleted