1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing the lede before the event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ADifferentOkie, Apr 27, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've had ledes written mentally before games based on what my expectations were of the game going in. Usually, I end up with something at least similar to what I pictured mentally.

One exception was a Bowie Baysox gamer I wrote today. I had a lede worked out in the middle innings that I was going to use until the Baysox won the game in the bottom of the ninth. That changed the lede I was going to use into about the third or fourth graf.

I don't pre-write my ledes though. That's just wrong.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If i'm on a tight deadline, it doesn't hurt to have lede written. You can alaways change it around a bit.

Now if the game goes completely opposite of they way yout tought, then you just have to start over. But nothing wrong with it. Also like to have any stats, previous score and other color that may be useful already in my file toward the bottom I can just plug in without having to look it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted