1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing Style

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mike311gd, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I know enough about writing to know that when Jones talks about the craft, I should listen.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

P'shaw. Our Man Jones wishes he were half the writer Chad Conant is.

3. What he said ... Damn it I wish I had said that first! You may be 24 but you talk like a veteran young grasshopper.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Writing style, as this thread is labeled, is much more about consistency of tone and relevant construction than whether a story ends with said or quote marks. It's nice to tie a feature or an important gamer with a kick that lingers, but it's even more important on day-to-day writing to be accurate and interesting from the outset.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Beginnings. Endings.

Trouble with fancy writers, no one cares about the middle. It's like 6-4-3 without the 4. Sheesh.

"YHS," he said.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"I wholeheartedly agree," he said, "with Jones on both counts."

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Listen smartass, I've read Chad Conant. I once saw Chad Conant. And, you sir, are no Chad Conant.

8. friend of the friendless

Sirs, Madames,

DR sports staff garners two national AP awards

ST. LOUIS -- The Daily Record sports department was honored with its first two national awards at the Associated Press Sports Editors National Convention held in St. Louis last week.

The DR sports staff was honored as a top-10 award winner in the 40,000-and-under circulation best special section category for "High School Football Preview: Throwback Edition."

Contributing to the section published Aug. 24 were Daily Record sports staffers Zach Bolinger, Bryan Schaaf, Chad Conant, Art Holden, Elliott Schreiner, Kim Bayer and Aaron Dorksen. Mike Murphy handled the graphics, while Joel Troyer and Mike Schenk had photos included.

Numerous community members should also be thanked for donating props for the issue.

Also, Daily Record Sports Editor Dorksen was awarded a top-10 award in the best feature category for his article on Bobby Knight published Dec. 24. He detailed the record-setting college basketball coach's Orrville roots. The article included many quotes from Knight himself on growing up in Wayne County.

'Nuff said.

"YHS," he said.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Good for Chad. Now imagine how many awards he'd win if he gave a damn about his product.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

DTGDTN. Please?

11. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Hey Doctor: Kindly cut the personal shots the fuck out.

And, by the way, I do care about the product. I just care more about the beginning than the end.

I love it, a group of people who've never read a syllable I've written and whom I've never met in my lives can lob bullshit like this over an opinion. Great guys, all of ya. If you're going to insinuate I'm a hack, which I'm most certainly not, at least have the common decency to put more than "The Good Doctor" or "Appgrad05" behind it.

Say what you will, but at least I'm an asshole without hiding behind a screen name.

Nobody killing him for saying that?

12. friend of the friendless

Mr Conant,

Have it your way. You're an asshole without hiding behind a screen name.

I 'spose that no rules are without exceptions. Frankly I'm waiting for the day when I can end a piece not with a great line nor "x," he said but rather a simple "etc"

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted