1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing something in the News/Arts/People section

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Nov 30, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I wrote a piece today that <i>didn't</i> involved hockey or sports. I must say it was a nice change. I think the break gave my writing a new look.

For you writers here who switch on and off to sports, do you feel refreshed or something of that sort? Or is just the same old job of writing a piece without footballs, pucks or nets?

2. I used to write a video game column for the feature section of a paper in southern New England. It was pretty fun and a nice change from doing sports all the time. But because I got so busy in the sports department, the column eventually became extinct. It had a good six month run!

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I put together a "What We're Reading/What You're Reading" piece for the Sunday book page where I take 50-word blurbs from folks inside and outside the newsroom on, boing, what they are reading. Nothing groundbreaking, in fact it's an idea I stole in part from Nick Hornby's columns in The Believer, but it's a nice change of pace.

Draft saved Draft deleted