1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing non-religious column in the Bible Belt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This is not going to end well. I put on my thick skin before I log onto this board, but as a Christian, I'll admit I had to take a deep breath after I read your post. I highly doubt your readers will be as even-tempered. Your first column may come off well-reasoned, but after the back-and-forth shitstorm starts, I can see where this will unravel quite quickly. Ask yourself if you get paid enough, and are prepared mentally to brave a worst-case scenario. The above post tells me otherwise.

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Where are my credentials?.....The same place half of the "preachers" credentials are in today's society - up my ass.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So is your head. You must be a hit at parties.

And you wonder why you're going nowhere in journalism. You know how they say, it's not you, it's me. Well, they're just being nice.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The religion columnists bring in advertising. What you want to do would drive them away. But go ahead and ask to do the column. Why ask the board when you know what the answer will be?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

It all depends on how you present it. Our religion page (every Saturday like clockwork) includes a monthly column on Islam written by a Muslim woman. We're as Bible Belt as it gets and we've had not one peep of protest about it, because she writes in a very low-key, matter-of-fact fashion that doesn't get in people's faces.

However, you seem to be one of those atheists who can't resist belittling those who believe in a higher power. So if you do write this column, I predict it will be received about like a turd in a punchbowl at a Baptist wedding. And you'll deserve all of the scorn you get from it.

6. I think they were called Newspapers for a reason. How would your beliefs on religion be "news"? Seriously.

Start a blog if you want but don't give people things they don't want and then say they are too stupid or religious to get it.

And people wonder why your business is failing? Two pages of responses to a business brain dead question goes a long way to answer that.

7. albert77

It was an opinion column.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Make sure to use the "sky daddy who plays matchmaker" line.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's a brilliant idea!!!!
    Almost as brilliant as me going to the Austin Statesman and suggesting I write a regular column on how great the Sooners are and how the Longhorn fans are morons.

Seriously, for someone who basically considers Christians idiots and suggesting you are smarter than them, it's surprising after two pages worth of people telling you don't do it you still aren't smart enough to see why it's a stupid idea.

If this idiot is the future of journalism, newspapers certainly have no hope.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

All my columns are non-religious.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Just so long as there's no alcohol.

12. albert77

That would be the Methodist wedding. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted