1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing non-religious column in the Bible Belt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Jan 5, 2011.

1. You're asking for trouble.

I used to work in a small, very religious town near the University of Florida. The basketball team was about to play for its second straight national title, and I wrote in a column something to similar to...

"Gators fans will be looking to the basketball gods for another victory."

I got several e-mails the following day ranging from the belligerent to the confused, asking, "Do you actually know any Gators fans who believe in basketball god? Every Gators fan I have met believes in the one true God. Is this some new turn of phrase you are using???"

Don't do it.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in the Bible Belt. I'm a Christian who occasionally will reference it in a column and don't give a hoot if a reader complained (I was SE of our student paper in Colorado, culturally very different than Oklahoma).

For instance, check out this column I wrote last April. I either received privated e-mails saying "thanks for stating similar views to what I have" or public comments on the Web site from folks who couldn't exactly comprehend what I was saying or thinking I was pushing my theological agenda (though how that conclusion was come to, I have no idea whatsoever).

The Weekly Blitz - Dear pro athletes, we don't really hate you

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What do you want to accomplish with your column? There are too many "What Really Grinds My Gears Columns" when the readership needs something a little meatier than that. The problem with writing about religion is that you can never be too sure that you're right. But you can be absolutely wrong in your approach.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And he shall be Tebow.

5. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Thanks for all you guys' points of views. I'm not trying to beat my view into my readers heads. I just know I'm writing for people who, for the large part, have never heard of anything that isn't written in the Bible. My focus is to only share my story as to why I decided to not believe in an almighty power.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Now that you've explained further, I'll simplify my advice. DO. NOT. DO. THIS.

7. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

Doctorquant, you know how preachers say they've been "called" by a higher power?.........Well, I feel like I've been "called" to shine light on BS. And believing in a "sky daddy" who plays matchmaker, yet ignores the homeless is BS. And deep down, the majority of us who can channel into their common sense knows it. (Well, I guess if I write like that, I definitely won't have a job, ha ha!)

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I guess that answers my question about what your intent for writing this column is.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Somebody make sure to link this column when it hits the top of Romenesko, K?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Good luck to you. I'm pretty religious but wouldn't be put off by such a column. My advice was focused on the practical consequences of such a column.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can see the pitch as to your qualifications to write the column: I'm a dick.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

While you're at it, why don't you write about how people in the Deep South sound like they're retarded with their thick accents.

Draft saved Draft deleted