1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Writing For General Interest Sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Apr 13, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I have a friend who has her master's and is wanting to write general subject articles for sites like about.com. She found hubpages.com and asked me what I thought of it. Looking at it, most of the article bylines are by people who use their handles (like BNWriter, etc.), and not their real names.

Do any of you know of these same kinds of general interest sites that are:

1) Accepting material regularly, regardless of subject;

2) That will deal fairly with a very new freelancer;

3) Will pay $$$ without strings or catches

4) Will use her given name on a byline so she does not have to resort to using a handle of another kind?
    Any help here would be a big help so that I can properly advise my friend. Thanks!!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say $$$. More like $.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've yet to find a site that will pay you a worthwhile amount to blog or write for them. This includes Examiner.

About.com is an exception to the rule, but not anyone can do it. You have to be a solid writer and qualified to write about your chosen topics. You have to complete training and beat out other applicants.

Having said that, if anyone hears about such a site let me know.

By the way, anyone ever think what we could accomplish if together we launched a sports site where we just BLOGGED! About random crap all day? I think we could do quite well.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Not that my friend was thinking about dollar signs first, and byline second, Playthough, but you are right about that. I did not tell her that though. I am doing my best not to discourage, but rather to encourage. It is just tough when these sites pop up like dandilions promising cash for writing, but most of the people on this one site she wants to write for do not use their name on bylines, but rather their handles. I want to see this lady use her name in a byline. As we all know, THAT is as much of a booster as getting any article published.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a reason these sites pop up like dandelions. So many of them are not worth the trouble. Tell your friend to channel her energy into coming up with story ideas and pitch away to magazines, the NYTimes, legit publications. They're still buying great ideas from good people.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My byline isn't a boost if there isn't some money on offer. A stroked ego doesn't pay the bills.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Oh, I understand that, Stitch. But she is new and I know how she feels. Right now, I get the feeling she just wants the chance to get out here and join the rest of us....see her name in print for her efforts, with pay. :)

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

You're absolutely right, Playthough. These sites, a lot of them are dime-a-dozen, so, when she was all excited about finding one to write to, I was happy she was enthused, but alarmed she did not do as Stitch suggested just now: Start with inquiring of editors of legit publications with ideas to see who would bite. I will see if I can't aim her in the correct direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted